Unwed, college student son's child support obligation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterdaisey

Our son (19) recently informed us his girlfriend (18) is 4 weeks pregnant, even though she told him she used contraceptives. The relationship had only been going on 4 months, so getting married is out of the question. They are both college students. Our son still lives at home and works FT during the summer and PT during the school year, he has 2 yrs to go. She lives on her own, attends school and works as well. We live in California. She wants to continue her life as it is right now and continue going to school and working and putting the child at a child care center once he/she is born.

What are my son's obligations? Does he need to take care of her financially as well? Can they agree on the child support amount among themselves or must it go through court? Can I take care of the baby for them while they go to school so that he doesn't have to pay as much child support?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but we are all lost in this. Thank you so much.

Well first of all she has ways to go before she delivers. If they are still together and remain a couple, then generally there isn't a court order for child support. If he sees a breakup in the future, child support is usually filed.

He will need to establish paternity when the child is born to have any rights. If Mom and Dad can come to a mutual agreement on everything then filing through the courts is not necessary. I would charge them something for child care. Taking care of a newborn is a full time job and you deserve to be compensated for it. If mom insists on a daycare center, then dad can argue he only will pay what standard at home rates are.

He does not have to take care of her financially at all, just help towards the child. It was also her choice to get pregnant and have the baby so she is responsible for herself.

Once paternity is established, your son will be responsible for his share of supporting the child until the child is at least 18 (or older, in some cases, if the child goes to college) years of age. This would include his share of child care, whether at home or in a day care setting, medical care, school costs, food, clothing, etc.

Such responsibilities would be negated should BOTH parents decide to give the child up for adoption (sadly, often rare in this day and age).

It was not necessarily her choice or decision to become pregnant. No birth control is 100 percent effective.

It would be much more beneficial if everyone could be flexible in working things out financially. And yes, this could likely include helping out with the costs of prenatal care to increase the chances of a healthy pregnancy and delivery.

Some couples can work this out amongst themselves. Many can't. Often those that can't are those where pregnancy took place before a couple had a chance to get to know one another. At that point the court will step in and make the financial decisions.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back