1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Unwed California Mother, No Custody Agreement and Relocation

Discussion in 'Child Custody & Visitation' started by HNguyen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. HNguyen

HNguyen Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    Hello,
    I recently got married to a service member in January and have plans to move out of state to his first duty station along with my 8 year old daughter. I've never been married to my daughters father and we do not have a custody agreement in place. However, we have discussed the move and any visitation matters. For example, she may come to stay with him during summer or holiday/school breaks. Or he can visit whenever he is able to as long as we are notified ahead of time. Is there any legal issues regarding this? Or anything I have to file before moving? Thank you so much in advance.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

There shouldn't be any legal issues or need to file anything as long as you are in agreement about all this.

It's probably a good idea to consult an attorney about getting a written agreement in case he decides to go to court after you move which is when you will be most vulnerable.

HNguyen likes this.
  3. HNguyen

Thank you so much !

4. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

No legal issues, but know that any agreement you make is not enforceable if someone doesn't hold up their end.

In other words, when you send her to visit in the summer and he doesn't send her back you have a big problem.

Having court ordered visitation is a protection for when disagreements occur later.

HNguyen likes this.
  5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Before you make any decisions, you might want to see a family law lawyer (or two) licensed in your jurisdiction.

The initial consultation is normally offered free of charge.

If you continue to operate without a valid court orders, you're putting your custody at risk.

A sit down with a lawyer in your state is essential in understanding just what those risks are for you and your child.

HNguyen likes this.
  6. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

This IS a legal matter and SHOULD be dealt with with the help of an Attorney. If you dont there could be all kinds of problems

HNguyen likes this.
  7. HNguyen

Thank you so much for the response :)

8. HNguyen

Thank you for responding :)

9. HNguyen

Thank you for the input :)