Unusual contract dispute with lawyer

T

throwaway337

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
I hired a lawyer a year ago when my house was raided and evidence was seized. I was not arrested at the time but was worried an arrest might come so I hired him.

At the time I did a little lawyer shopping and he came highly recommended. We agreed to $7,500 and that would cover up until a trial, and we would work out another deal if god forbid it came to a trial. Before I agreed to the deal though I insisted a clause be added in the likely event they didn't find the evidence and I had my things returned. The clause was worded - should I choose to terminate the lawyer's service I would be billed at $250/hr and returned whatever remained of the $7,500.

Here's the unusual part. A year passes and he is able to retrieve my things and presumably the investigation is over. Obviously Im happy with his work and ecstatic with the end result, but now he's arguing that he's entitled to keep the full amount on account that the contract has been completed.

My argument is that the spirit of the clause was for this exact scenario and now he's trying to wiggle out of it. I guess the argument is what ends the contract since it was kind of loosely written? I would argue a plea deal or the start of a trial would end the contract, as I could still technically be charged.

Is this worth arbitrating with the LA state bar? I obviously would like to avoid it and be done with this thing but we're likely arguing over $5k or more.

I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked you elsewhere (though admittedly you probably haven't had time to see it yet).

Over the course of a year, working on getting evidence suppressed or dropped, getting the DA to agree not to press any charges, arranging to get your things back to you, how can you be certain he hasn't spent 30 hours (at $250 an hour, that would get you to your $7500) working on your case? You're surely not thinking he accomplished that with a couple of phone calls, are you?

Is this worth arbitrating with the LA state bar?

That is a decision you alone must make.

If I were mulling things over, I'd simply thank the lawyer and hope I never needed a criminal defense lawyer ever again.

I obviously would like to avoid it and be done with this thing but we're likely arguing over $5k or more.

Again, that is your call to make.

However, I've seen this movie before as a lawyer.

I wasn't involved, but observed clients trying to stiff several of my brothers abd sisters at the bar.

As I recall this happened at least 25 times over the years.

With results similar to yours, no one ever prevailed against them.

However, mysteriously, magically at least half of those clients somehow ended up being charged and convicted after they complained and lost.

How? Why? I just don't know, mate. Maybe it was coincidence, huh?

As I recall this happened at least 25 times over the years.

With results similar to yours, no one ever prevailed against them.

I knew it would be an uphill battle arguing against a fellow lawyer at the state bar unfortunately. I think I have a pretty good case but it would be tough.

However, mysteriously, magically at least half of those clients somehow ended up being charged and convicted after they complained and lost.

How? Why? I just don't know, mate. Maybe it was coincidence, huh?

That's downright terrifying. That thought occurred to me but I quickly dismissed it as being paranoid. Thanks that might have made the decision for me. He did offer me last night to give me $1,500 back, I don't even know if I should take it after hearing that lol.

I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked you elsewhere (though admittedly you probably haven't had time to see it yet).

Over the course of a year, working on getting evidence suppressed or dropped, getting the DA to agree not to press any charges, arranging to get your things back to you, how can you be certain he hasn't spent 30 hours (at $250 an hour, that would get you to your $7500) working on your case? You're surely not thinking he accomplished that with a couple of phone calls, are you?

Thanks for your help cbg.

That's downright terrifying. That thought occurred to me but I quickly dismissed it as being paranoid. Thanks that might have made the decision for me. He did offer me last night to give me $1,500 back, I don't even know if I should take it after hearing that lol.

There you go, mate, I'd take the $1,500 and thank him profusely!!!

Good luck going forward.

Back