UnumProvident

Status
Not open for further replies.

elzie

Hello all,

I had my spine fused in two spots in my lower back in July 2002. I went out on short term disability and then right to long term. I went back to work as an industrial mechanic in June of 2003, strained the surgery area and missed about two weeks. My employer fired me ( by a Fed Ex letter to boot). UnumProvident is the disability insurance carrier and they put me back on long term disability, which according to my policy, covers me until retirement age - which is quite a ways off.

I had approached Unum about retraining and they didn't want to part with ANY money for it, even though it was only $3000. Now, they say they will settle my claim for a specified amount, which isn't a lot. They say that I must sign a tax waiver and the settlement agreement states exactly what I can use the money for, and if I don't, then I have to repay it. They also said I have to use the money for a local 2 year program and be completed by March 2007, but I didn't receive the agreement until yesterday March 5th. Now they know that there is no way I can start March classes as the course has begun already, so I can't start until June, thus voiding the clause about being done by March 07, and then I would have to repay all the money.

I know this doesn't sound like a whole big deal, but they are an insurance company and say one thing while handing me an agreement that says something else. After checking the web, and even Unum's own site, I see they are in quite a lot of hot water, especially here in Massachusetts. I even see law firms who "specialize" in dealing with Unum. I am starting to think I am in over my head in dealing with them and feel it is time to hand this matter over to an attorney. The fact that this clause was in my agreement made my contact at Unum say "I have never seen this clause before". I am starting to think that I should be settling for much more money.

I would like some input from anyone willing to give it. Also, should I contact one of those firms that "specialize" in dealing with Unum, or should I go local? I can't afford anything as I have lost a considerable amount of income due to this. Am I in for a nasty fight, or do you think they would be more likely to work it out due to their current problems?? Sorry for being so naive, but I like to believe that people are normally good hearted, but I should know better after my extremely mess ordeal with my employer.....

Maybe Some Input Here

First, I am sorry to hear about your spinal fusion. I know someone who had one, and she wouldn't have had it done, if she had known what it would be like afterwards. I have heard of artificial disks, used in situations where previously fusion was considered as treatment. Perhaps this might be an option.

It really does sound like you could use some advice. I also had an unanswered question. I posted it at YourLawyers.com, and someone took the time and effort to answer. Plus, they have interesting reading on sections applicable to your problem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back