Unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whicks61907

I have a question about a possible Gov. loan for school, (college) from the past. In 1988,my wife and I were separated at that time, still married, my wife aquired some school loans for college for a local college, one loan has been payed off when my wife and I purchased our home in 1992. Since then, a collection dept. has been hounding my wife and I about another loan, they say was never payed back. She says that she did get two separate loans, which she was told one she had to pay back and the other was a Gov. grant that was not required to be payed back. The loan that they keep calling about,we asked if they could produce a document with an account number or my wife's signature on it, some kind of proof that this is authentic and they said they are not required to do this, that she does owe the money and we do not understand why this is just now showing up after all of these years. Also the school that she attended has gone out of business, and of course we don't have any copies of the papers from that time to prove otherwise. The establishment claims it is the US Dept of Education, (very un-cooperative & rude).I really don't know what to believe. My question is, if they do go futher with this, can they attach our joint bank account and clean us out of what maybe in our checking account at any given time? Also how do we go about disproving this loan? Thanks for any advice you can give. Lou.Ky:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back