Unsure please help

michellefeeney11

Jurisdiction
Texas
The other day the police called me over to the street to talk to me and then informed me I was under arrest for Manufacturing is a delivery and refused to even tell me the date of the warrant but after leaving me in a police car with heat on high for 20 to 30 mins in cuffs with me pouring sweat then pull out of police car and put me in a black suv and tell me if I don't help them they would get federal indictments on me and my father yet the warrant that they said I had did not Exist is this legal ifnot what can I do about it

You need to work on writing a little bit better so you can be understood. A warrant is not necessary for you to be arrested.

If you have been arrested, or expect to be, then get yourself an attorney.

I agree. More detail is needed to understand your situation.
Having been handcuffed in a hot car is nothing significant.
It seems you were either arrested or detained. If you went to jail and you were booked for an offense, or if you received any kind of citation with a date to appear in court, then you were arrested. If none of that happened then you were detained. Whether you were detained lawfully is subject to many details you didn't provide, but is moot if you are actually arrested. If a warrant exists they are not required to show it to you. All that matters is that it exists.

What was the end result of this encounter?

It seems you were either arrested or detained. If you went to jail and you were booked for an offense, or if you received any kind of citation with a date to appear in court, then you were arrested. If none of that happened then you were detained. Whether you were detained lawfully is subject to many details you didn't provide, but is moot if you are actually arrested. If a warrant exists they are not required to show it to you. All that matters is that it exists.

There

I had a lawyer check I have no warrants as well as I have been trying to do anything and everything to stay away from that life and life style since I have been home from prison over three years ago

I was not taken to jail cause there was no warrant at all I have no pending charges any where

If they believed you had a warrant and detained you will trying to verify then it could be legitimate.
It will be very difficult to prove what the officers believed at the time.
If you feel you were inappropriately singled out or harassed by the officers you can always make a WRITTEN complaint to the department.

I had a lawyer check I have no warrants as well as I have been trying to do anything and everything to stay away from that life and life style since I have been home from prison over three years ago

That lawyer would be the best person to speak with about how to proceed, if there is any action to be taken at all.

You are in or near Bedford, TX.
I KNOW how they operate in Tarrant County.

Most likely an INDICTMENT has been obtained from the grand jury for a passel of people, and indictments are issued under seal until its time to round up the USUAL suspects.

What you describe usually portends the storm is coming, either from the locals, or the Feds.

Be careful NOT to get wet.

About the "so called" detention, if you're on PAPER, (as on parole) get used to it.

Have you informed your parole agent about the police encounter?

If you haven't, I suggest you do so TODAY.

I'll address your concerns on further down,but first let me clarify something on Police encounters,and arrests.
Generally speaking,Constitutional jurisprudence provides for three,(3) types of contact between citizens,and the police.(1) Consensual encounters,(2)brief "detentions,"first decided in the case of Terry V. Ohio,and(3)full-fledged arrests.
Now really there's just two,because a consensual encounter is voluntary,and such an encounter does not constitute a "seizure" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment.The Police are free to question a citizen concerning his or her identification and conduct without the encounter necessarily evolving into a seizure,so long as the police do not restrain the individual's "freedom of movement" or communicate through words or conduct that compliance with their request is "mandatory,"the person being questioned can refuse to answer any questions,and is free to walk away.
The next encounters are an "arrest,and a "detention" which is a form of an arrest,but not a "full-fledged arrest."The U.S. Supreme Court in upholding the detention in "Terry" stated,
" a police officer may in appropriate circumstances and in an appropriate manner approach a person for purposes of "investigating possible criminal behavior,though there is no probable cause to make an arrest."
Thus the U.S Supreme Court in distinguishing between an "investigatory stop,"and an arrest,upheld the authority of police officers to detain a person when they observe unusual conduct that leads them to reasonably conclude,in light of their experience that criminal activity may be in progress.
Now to answer your questions,from what you told us,you were definitely "detained"and no one here can say definitely,that it was an "unlawful detention,"though that may be the case.A lawful detention does not require a warrant,or probable cause,just "reasonable suspicion as noted above,so weather they had a warrant or not is irrelevant.
I do strongly suspect though that something more is going on here than you've shared with us.You mentioned,being put in an SUV,told federal indictments would be sought against you and your father,and you related your past criminal history with drugs,so,you weren't just randomly selected off the street for nothing,even though they lied about having a warrant.
My advice to you would be to consult with a good criminal defense attorney,and relate the whole story to him or her,and don't leave anything out.They would best be able to advice you if you have a civil action against the officer and/or the county involved for a violation of your Constitutional Rights.

Last edited:
Back