Unsatisfied With LSAT Prep Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

wampum

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but this seemed as good a place as any.

The problem I am having is that I am currently 3 weeks into an LSAT prep course and I am completely dissatisfied with my tutor. I paid for a course that promised 42 hours of in-class LSAT instruction. The course is 6 weeks long and I have currently only received approximately 8 hours of in-class instruction. The tutor frequently cancels/reschedules. We never spend more than 1 hour doing the instruction (is supposed to be 2 hours). He texts constantly throughout our tutoring session and is generally uninterested in anything but getting out of there. Overall he has an inability to convey his personal knowledge of the subject matter in a way that is useful. Rushes through the problems and often provides no support except for what the correct answer is. I do not believe I am receiving the services that I paid for (and I paid a lot for them).

I have contacted the company and expressed my issues with the course and explained that for me there are only two possible solutions: providing me with a new tutor or a refund. They told me that they will look into it and get back to me.

So I wondering if anyone had advice on how to approach this, assuming they refuse my request. In past experience, businesses are generally hesitant to offer refunds unless they are obligated, legally or otherwise. Also, on that note, is this protected under any consumer laws? As I have paid for services that I believe have not been received. I'd prefer not to mention the specific name of the tutoring company, but it is one of the big reputable ones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am taking the test in june.

If you believe you are owed a rebate or a complete refund, you probably won't receive one!

Therefore, your only option will be a lawsuit.

Sometimes we don't receive what we think we're owed.

Army Judge has a point. Leverage is what it's all about.

I'm thinking a little outside of the box here, sympathetic to your position. You can always tell them that there is a third solution - their doing the right thing and refunding your money. It's not impossible, they just don't want to do it.

I'm not telling you what to do, just telling you what I might do. Note that I do have a little righteous streak in me that might not be right for you. :) I might tell them that I learned enough in school to understand what "material breach" means and they should know what this means as well. Considering that there is no dispute that their provider has not provided the service and "time is of the essence" this leaves me with one choice - costing them far more money than it's worth just for them to do the right thing.

So what might I do? I might file a claim in small claims court and embarrassing an LSAT preparation course provider that probably won't show - and then I'll make sure to circulate the results. I could always notify schools of the lawsuit or the local news, e.g. "Help Me Howard". Without stating anything defamatory, I might post numerous details regarding my horrible experience in a highly visible law forum and have them help me make numerous other students aware of this sham policy.

So what do those guys want to do - just give me back what they know I deserve or would they rather I make take out two pounds of flesh? Let's call of the dogs and settle this puppy....

The Internet can give you some leverage. I would post detailed negative reviews on the relevant websites and let them know that you'll modify them if you're given what you're owed.

Ever noticed how quickly responses to negative reviewed ("We have contacted this reviewer and offered him..") are posted on Yelp and similar sites? These companies check their reviews regularly, since they know that a single, recent bad review can really hurt a service business.

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but this seemed as good a place as any.

The problem I am having is that I am currently 3 weeks into an LSAT prep course and I am completely dissatisfied with my tutor...Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am taking the test in june.

Thanks for posting your question and thank you to everyone who has responded. I was having a slightly similar situation, although I'm in California and I'm taking an in-class course. I've been pretty dissatisfied overall. The test prep company I chose has a "higher score or your money back guarantee." I have read the terms of the guarantee and are familiar with them. Although the teacher isn't doing anything as outrageous as that of the original poster, I guess I was wondering if anyone else was as dissatisfied with their LSAT prep course instructor as I have been! :confused:

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back