Unpaid work

My son is considered an "independent contractor". He has been working for this guy who sells a certain home entertainment product. It has been two months now and my son hasn't seen a pay check. The boss's excuse has been that he hasn't submitted my son's paperwork to payroll yet. As my son has been trying for a month to get ahold of him, he found out that the guy has signed the company over to another guy who works two hours away from my son. My son has been in contact with this new boss, but this boss doesn't have access to payroll. So, in the mean time, the old boss has left on a two week trip to Alaska and nobody can get a hold of him.
My son hasn't been paid for over two months for services that he has provided to this company. He has almost been evicted from his apartment due to not having the rent, not to mention that he can't afford simple things like food because he is not getting paid. This company owes him a lot of money.
He thinks he doesn't have many rights due to the fact that he is considered an independent contractor.
Please any advice to what we should do to get this money that is owed to him would be greatly appreciated.

If he is actually an IC, there is no state or federal agcy. that he can file a wage claim with. He can call or write requesting payment & if all else fails, sue for payment.

If he is truly an independent contractor, then there is no "payroll". He bills them as a vendor and he will receive payment without any taxes withheld. As Betty said any remedy for non-payment
would be in court. If he is not sure if the status of independent contractor is correct, (and often it isn't) then he should speak to the department of labor.

Back