Unpaid wages

Harvey93

Jurisdiction
Ontario
So I recently had a job but stepped down after realizing that I was mislead about the job position during the interview. A week and a half later I expected my pay check from them and checked my bank account. There weren't any funds deposited. I found that weird but figured I must have to pick up my last and only cheque. I spoke to the general manager and asked him about my pay.he said he had no idea and I would have to speak to the owners but can't since there on vacation. What does the owners being on vacation have to do with my check. It should have just been deposited. Someone had to go into the system and stop the funds from going through. Now another paydate has rolled around and still nothing. Do I keep calling? I don't want to be accused of harrassment, but it's my right to get paid. When I called the few times I did record the conversations. The general manager was unhappy about me quitting and I feel like the owners are trying to spite me. What should I do?

By Ontario, do you mean Canada? If so, this is a site dedicated to US employment law. If you are in the US, then file a wage claim with the DOL. Not knowing how how big this company is or who would handle payroll it is difficult to advise anything else. I doubt very much Bill Gates could tell you the status of a single paycheck for a random employee, meanwhile that mom and pop store with 5 employees where pop is the one who cuts the checks might not have a back up if he is on vacation.

Back