Unpaid wages

Sentry108

Jurisdiction
Virginia
So the run down:

I was working for an employer from July before the store opened, to when it opened in August through the 2nd of November. I was only paid $1500 in the form of three checks, and am owed little over $3000 in unpaid wages. I have tried to reach out to two attorneys, one which charges a lot for an hour and a half consultation with no guarantee of being represented and the other which flat out refused. The employer is starting to sell everything for little to nothing and I'm very sure that they have no intention of paying me and I'm afraid they are going to be trying to skip town. They haven't filed bankruptcy or officially shut the business down as far as I know, but I am afraid that they are going to do be doing that and I don't know what my options are.

I don't know what my options are.

Your options might be few, but here they are:

If you were a contractor, (or if you were an employee) you can file a small claims court case.

Here is where you that for your county:

This legal aid website offers an informative pamphlet on wage claims:

https://www.valegalaid.org/files/E0...6-C6F5-B4AC-3104-16B843733C2D/wage-claims.pdf

If you were an employee, you can file a claim with this VA state agency:

DOLI Payment of Wage (English)

I suggest you get on this ASAP, based on your observations of recent employer behavior.

Bear in mind, if the person is broke, deep in debt, files bankruptcy, you might end up receiving nothing or a few pennies of every dollar owed.

I just want to clarify: if you were a contractor (1099 at the end of the year) small claims is appropriate. If you were an employee (W2 at the end of the year) then filing a claim with the VA DOL is appropriate.

Back