Unpaid Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

badazzR1

Hello and thank you for any help in advance. I worked this past saturday as a photographer as a self contracted employee 1099. I worked from 7am to 2pm and used my own camera, tripod and other equipment. I used the memory card provided by my employer. I photographed about 25 to 30 teams with about 10 players each, and each photo package starting at a minimum of $10. My employer was paid for each package that saturday.

Today employer calls me to tell me theyre not going to pay me a measly $140 for my work that day. Employer says theyre unsatisfied with the photos and has to have them fixed because of distortion, so she had to pay someone to fix them. My employer made thousands on sales and yet refuses to pay me for my services and assisting another photographer. Is there any legal action I can take. Its not about the measly money, its about this employer believing time is free. I really couldve spent the day hanging out with my cool kids.

You weren't an employee.
She wasn't your employer.

You were a contractor.

Those aren't wages you claim you're owed, they're income produced as a 1099.

You can't agree, so your remedy lies in a small claims court.

If you prevail, you won't get money, just a judgment.

Then the hard work begins, you have to scurry about trying to enforce that judgment.

It often ends in you holding that pretty piece of paper, but never getting the money you thought you'd been awarded.

If you were an independent contractor & not an employee, you cannot submit a wage claim/complaint to the state or federal DOL. You will have to collect through small claims court if you want to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back