unpaid utility bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinew

My partner and I ,who were never married, recently split up. We have a home together and are listed on the deed as joint tenancy. He somehow closed all our old utility accounts that were in my name and put them all in his--I have since moved out. He then has decided that I should be responsible for all these bills ($1150 worth) out of spite. My question is: if we are listed as joint tenants on the deed, which I believe in my state means everything is 50/50, and I can prove he was living at the house during these bill periods, can I take him to small claims to get him to pay his share?? Please help! I'm in no position to pay all these myself!!

My partner and I ,who were never married, recently split up. We have a home together and are listed on the deed as joint tenancy. He somehow closed all our old utility accounts that were in my name and put them all in his--I have since moved out. He then has decided that I should be responsible for all these bills ($1150 worth) out of spite. My question is: if we are listed as joint tenants on the deed, which I believe in my state means everything is 50/50, and I can prove he was living at the house during these bill periods, can I take him to small claims to get him to pay his share?? Please help! I'm in no position to pay all these myself!!
If he's on the utility bills, then he's primarily responsible. Why do you need to go to small claims court? I think I'm missing something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back