unpaid alimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtxnsntn

My divorce was finalized in Dec 2006 in Sumner Co., TN. We have 3 kids (14/ 11/9), I am the primary custodial parent, he gets visitation. He pays child support ($1263/mo) to me directly, has never paid through the CS system in TN. He is also supposed to pay me $2000/mo in alimony (we were married 15 yrs and I am on SS disability) which is in arrears. The day our divorce was finalized in court, he didn't appear (although he signed that he had received the paperwork), didn't retain counsel, had an assault charge pending, he had also moved out of state (FL) and in with another woman -- none of which endeared him to the judge. He was also ordered to pay my attorneys fees and court costs, which he didn't do. The final bill from my attorney (I had already paid $2500 in a retainer) was included in his bankruptcy filed 10/07. He has an ongoing arrearage in alimony, but has paid his child support each month. When we were married, he made between $75-100k/yr in sales but now lives expense-free with this woman (she's an idiot IMO) and is "starting his own business" working from home, so he says he can't afford what was court ordered. I agreed to take the car he was awarded in the divorce (paid for) in lieu of part of what he owed me in back alimony since it was rapidly approaching $10,000, but each month he falls further and further behind. I am struggling to get by on my SSD and the child support. So, given this background, are there papers I can file myself on his contempt of court re alimony? Retaining my previous attorney is probably out of the question, considering he was not paid his remaining fee by my ex plus I just don't have the money for another retainer. Any help on this would be appreciated and sorry it is such a long post. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back