Unlicensed contractor wants to SUE ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

2trusting

I hired a man off Craigslist to do electrical work for my 9'x8' kitchen update (GFIs, update stove outlet, add microwave outlet and dedicated circuit). He told me up front he was not licensed but I was okay given his experience.

While at my home for the estimate, he asked who was installing my cabinets that were sitting in the adjacent dining room and who would be doing all the drywall repair (I had some major cracks due to soil shifting). I told him I had not yet hired anyone for that and was simply trying to get the electrical fixed first. He told me he's worked for remodeling companies for years and that he's remodeled numerous kitchens and could do the entire job for me. He verbally quoted "3 days work for $900" and said it "included EVERYTHING."

The job went on for 6 days over 3 weekends and he's still not finished. Halfway through the process, he said I owed him $300 in supplies...SO FAR. I was a bit taken aback but thought it through and figured it seemed reasonable to pay extra for supplies even though his quote said "includes everything." After another day he said he bought another $200 or so in supplies. Then I asked to see all receipts.

After 6 days we were both clearly ready for this project to end. I was okay to let him go without finishing things (I felt bad for him since he clearly underestimated his time) even though I will wind up either doing or hiring someone to complete the following items he originally agreed to do: drywall texture, painting, hooking up plumbing, removing nails that are popping through the cabinets, cleanup, etc...

Here's my main issue: As we were wrapping up I noticed 3 dings/scratches in my stainless steel refrigerator which were not there previously. When I asked him what happened to it, he said he didn't know and, "Wow, that really sucks." I told him those dings were not there before. He said there was NO way he could've done that (even though he was the ONLY person in my tiny kitchen with a ladder for 8 hours that day).

I was very upset about the fridge, so I told him I was going to get an estimate for the repair of those dings and once I had that, we could settle up. He walked out mad then texted me later saying he was going to invoice me for his extra hours which would be $1000 plus what I still owed him. I said if that's how he wanted to handle this, I would also send him an invoice for the replacement/repair of my fridge door, the scratch he made in an upper cabinet door, the unfinished work he left, etc...

Now he says he's going to SUE me. I'm fine to let small claims settle this but a friend suggested since I didn't pull permits, I would be fined. As naive as this sounds, I did not know that permits needed to be pulled and he never mentioned them.

1) Can an unlicensed contractor in California sue me?
2) Do I have any recourse for my damaged appliance?
3) Should I turn him in for working unlicensed?
4) Should I give him is remaining $280?
5) Also, during the course of my job he lost his driver's license but continues to drive. Do I report this?
6) Should I pull a permit after the fact?

NOTES: I had a friend present during his verbal quote but there is NO written agreement/contract. I DO, however, have his quote in text message format stating it would be "3 days for $900 which includes everything."

To date, I have paid him $1100 cash and got him to sign receipts for cash stating what the money was for (labor + supplies). I am holding his remaining $280 due to the fridge damage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Some dummy selling his useless services on CL won't sue, he'll scam. Don't hire anyone or buy anything off of CL. If he sues, you defend. If I were in your position I wouldn't give him another penny. I'd stop communicating with him and ignore him. If he serves you with legal documents comply with them, defend yourself, let the judge decide.

Some dummy selling his useless services on CL won't sue, he'll scam. Don't hire anyone or buy anything off of CL. If he sues, you defend. If I were in your position I wouldn't give him another penny. I'd stop communicating with him and ignore him. If he serves you with legal documents comply with them, defend yourself, let the judge decide.

Okay, so this evening Mr. Contractor stopped by my house and requested an additional $1051.00 in a letter he handed me and said he plans on putting a lien on my house. I am unfamiliar with liens. Now what?

He won't get a lien without going to court.
He won't get far in court without presenting a contract.
Ignore him, and don't bother sending him a bill. You will never be paid.

Okay, so this evening Mr. Contractor stopped by my house and requested an additional $1051.00 in a letter he handed me and said he plans on putting a lien on my house. I am unfamiliar with liens. Now what?

You don't have to allow him to enter upon your property. If he reappears call your local police agency and advise them he's trespassing. Stay inside your home, ignore him, and let the police deal with the trespasser.

Today I received a voicemail from the U.S. Dept. of Labor. My contractor has told them I hired him and am withholding his wages and didn't file proper paperwork. If anyone has any real advice to offer, it would greatly be appreciated. I know you all think I should just blow him off but he's not going to stop.

Today I received a voicemail from the U.S. Dept. of Labor. My contractor has told them I hired him and am withholding his wages and didn't file proper paperwork. If anyone has any real advice to offer, it would greatly be appreciated. I know you all think I should just blow him off but he's not going to stop.

Hire a local lawyer. We can't advise you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back