Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Unlawful entry? Trespass? B + E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudelbianco

A friend of mine runs a fantasy sports league. I paid him $150 to enter the league. Once I entered, he informed me that he would be messing with me and proceeded throughout the season to impede my ability to compete by placing restrictions on my team not placed on any other teams. Coming to a head as I was facing him in a playoff matchup, I called him repeatedly and asked him to ease up on my team or to refund my money because he was treating me unfairly. He told me I could quit if I wanted but he would not give me a refund every time we spoke. Fed up, I went to his apartment to speak to him in person about the issue and to try and resolve it. He did not answer and I opened his door and entered. I called for him and there was no answer. No one was home, it seemed. The computer, located by the door, was on and actually on the correct web page. In two mouseclicks I lifted the restrictions on my team and left. This apartment was an apartment I have been to about 20-30 times in the last year as an invited friend.
My friend soon questioned how I was able to fix my team and I gave him a plausible but untrue answer, which he accepted, which was that I asked the site hosting the league to intercede on my behalf. I had actually asked them to do this and they said they don't intervene in private leagues. Everything was fine until I mentioned over an ichat discussion with a mutual friend what I had done, and he decided to tell the friend with the apartment.
What kind of trouble could I be in? Basically for entering my friends apartment and fixing something on his computer. Only two days before the incident in question, the friend running the league invited me out for drinks so although it might sound completely contentious from this incident, we were (are?) friends with an odd friendship running from normal friendship to outbursts of mean-spirited hostility and everything in-between. I have been to his apartment before without him being there, actually (having been invited to do this as he always leaves his door open).
So the only evidence against me would be the instant message...
My initial question would be-I am expecting an angry phone call soon. Do I deny or admit to having been there?
And again-what was my crime and what kind of punishment would I be looking at?
I also have saved written admissions by my friend running the league admitting that he was unfairly messing with me and that he liked giving me a hard time for no good reason.

Sounds like burglary to me.

It could be a crime, but it really depends on your state's laws and whether or not your friend calls the cops.

I guarantee you the cops are going to blink a couple of times and then shake their heads. This is not the crime of the century, but it is likely at LEAST a trespass. If your state considers unauthorized access to a web site (without using the password) to be burglary, you may be in trouble.

First, find out if he calls the cops. if he does, then call an attorney.

Oh, and sign up for a real fantasy sports league and not one where he can manipulate things.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back