unlawful bussiness practice?

Justice seeker

Jurisdiction
California
in Ca can a lawyer call and offer his service? From a non profit org, they called and offered to represent me in an Unlawful Detainer case. We signed a contract and filed with court. He betrayed us by sending Discovery to opposing side without going over it with us. Questions were tailored for opposing side and not for us. He did not turn in all docs to us until a friday late afternoon. Without going over the said documents, we trusted him. The trial was on following Monday without his representation. Is this a legal act by a Attorney in Ca?

Oakland lawyer sought us, to offer representing in UD case can he pretend to help our case, only to collect all my defense documents and give them to opposing side? He didn't explain his process and did not return all papers filed until his last day of representation. No explanation or review. This betrayal of trust was devasting because it lead to our losing case! is this legal?

in Ca can a lawyer call and offer his service?

Yes.

He betrayed us by sending Discovery to opposing side without going over it with us. Questions were tailored for opposing side and not for us.

Are you saying that he served written discovery requests on the other side? Or are you saying that he served discovery responses on your behalf without reviewing the responses with you? If the former, of course the "[q]uestions [would be] tailored for [the] opposing side." Tailoring discovery requests served on the adverse party "for you" wouldn't make the least bit of sense. On the other hand, if you're talking about discovery responses, responses must be "tailored for" the requests that the adverse party served. Of course, discovery responses need to be verified.

Oakland lawyer sought us, to offer representing in UD case can he pretend to help our case, only to collect all my defense documents and give them to opposing side?

Well...yeah, that's how discovery works.

He did not turn in all docs to us until a friday late afternoon.

and did not return all papers filed until his last day of representation.

Not really sure what you're talking about here or what the issue is. However, if you gave the attorney documents without keeping copies, then you have no one to blame for this but yourself.

The trial was on following Monday without his representation.

Are you saying he didn't show up for trial? Did you show up for trial? Did you explain to the judge that your attorney didn't show up and request a continuance? In the prior sentence, you seem to imply that the lawyer's representation of you did not include representation at trial. Is that correct?

Is this a legal act by a Attorney in Ca?

I'm not sure which "act" you're talking about here. However, aside from possibly not showing up for trial, I see nothing in your post that is clearly illegal or improper. However, I'll reserve judgment until you clarify the facts.

Yes.

Are you saying that he served written discovery requests on the other side? Or are you saying that he served discovery responses on your behalf without reviewing the responses with you? If the former, of course the "[q]uestions [would be] tailored for [the] opposing side." Tailoring discovery requests served on the adverse party "for you" wouldn't make the least bit of sense. On the other hand, if you're talking about discovery responses, responses must be "tailored for" the requests that the adverse party served. Of course, discovery responses need to be verified.

Well...yeah, that's how discovery works.

Not really sure what you're talking about here or what the issue is. However, if you gave the attorney documents without keeping copies, then you have no one to blame for this but yourself.

Are you saying he didn't show up for trial? Did you show up for trial? Did you explain to the judge that your attorney didn't show up and request a continuance? In the prior sentence, you seem to imply that the lawyer's representation of you did not include representation at trial. Is that correct?

I'm not sure which "act" you're talking about here. However, aside from possibly not showing up for trial, I see nothing in your post that is clearly illegal or improper. However, I'll reserve judgment until you clarify the facts.
Yes we showed and acquired a much better settlement than our art wanted us to take

Yes we showed and acquired a much better settlement than our att wanted us to take
Attorney open air to all docs, events, mail, etc.since beginning of tendency....not in Complaint, no mention of rent issues. In discovery "we" asked for all written issues of rent since inception..

Back