University Negligence

hound4446

Jurisdiction
Maryland
So I go to a private university. My girlfriend and I had a bad break up which resulted in a no contact order. She recently went on a school panel for a forum on sexual misconduct and produced many lies to our story in order to paint me as a emotional abuser. In our no contact order she was not to speak of this to anyone at the school so I contacted our Title IX director and told her what was happening. She had told me she knew my ex was going to speak on the discussion, but said it was ok. During her speech she clearly painted my picture out to the masses and the crowd knew exactly who she was talking about. She broke the no contact order and the school stood by and watched. I am now afraid for my image at the school as many wrong things have been said about me and I have been allowed no rebuttal to the situation. My name has been slandered and I am unsure as what course I should take. The neglect of the school has caused me great emotional pain and my academics are suffering because of it.

Ignore your ex and concentrate on your studies. Don't worry about what may or may not have been said.

Not sure what you expect the law to do; I've found that the best 'revenge' is getting on with my life and ignoring the ignorant.

It would be extremely unusual for the no contact order to be against her, unless that isn't really what you have and you reached some kind of settlement with a stipulation that she could not discuss it. Even then, it would depend on the exact wording of such agreement and what exactly she said. The Title IX Coordinator is not a party to whatever agreement you do have. Neither is the school. She might as well have asked the mailman if it was ok to do what she did. From the mailman's point of view, there is no problem with it.

If you are still a student your school should have a legal services department for students (not the Title IX Coordinator). If you had a lawyer involved previously, you should contact that person. If neither of those are options, try Legal Aid, the UB Bronfein law clinic, or the Carey School of Law clinic at UM. There is also the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service. I'm not saying you have or don't have recourse. I am saying based on what you posted, it is very unclear and these folks can help you figure out what you do have and what it means to you.

Back