Union is broke

Notaco

Jurisdiction
New York
I need some legal advice on what to do in relation to my state union doing nothing for a specific title. There was a shooting in the Bronx parole office in 2010. Nys dept of corrections brought back a title from the 90's called institution safety officer. In the 90s isos sat at the Academy checking id's of co recruits entering the academy. At the time with those job duties the position was a state grade 9, which is very fair for what the duties were. Since the shooting in 2010 isos have evolved dramatically they are now armed peace officers working at parole offices throughout the state of ny. These officers attend the same academy as nys correction officers, wear the same uniform as correction officers, they are issued a firearm to take home and safeguard 24/7, parolees are people released from prison so essentially they are they same peole. With all this the iso grade is still 9 and is the lowest armed peace officer in nys. Our union is the same as a nys co and they are not doing there part to protect us. They have a current contract pending and we weren't even in the contract. We had to contact the union and they just magically came up with one in less than 24 hrs. 4 plus years to negotiate a contract and we weren't even mentioned? We were told in 2012 that the next contract would make it right and they didn't even mention us.

Yours is a common complaint of minority members of all unions. I don't mean ethnic minority, just the ratio of people in a particular job classification to the total number of union members.

Realistically, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

Options that occur to me:

1 - Vote out the union leaders who are not responsive to ISOs and vote in new leaders who will be.

2 - File a lawsuit against the union.

3 - Seek employment elsewhere.

1 and 2 are likely to be unsuccessful.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Thank you for your response. I have received several cases that have been settled and none of them involved be issued a firearm in the hardest in the country to get a pistol permit.

Back