Uninsured traffic accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

me3bcherie

I was involved in a fender bender. A car in front of me stopped abruptly and I tapped the car's bumper. No visible damage but filed a police report. Unfortunately, my insurance coverage had lapsed and I was unaware. I was diagnosed with cancer this summer and had been battling that. It's just the one thing that fell through the cracks-- has never happened before and it's been over 20 years since I've been in an accident. Her insurance company has sent me a bill for almost $3,000-- which I do not have. What can I do?

Truthfully, I'm sure her entire vehicle isn't worth $3,000. She had dings and dents and rusty areas of paint missing all over her car. Even the police officer told me it was obvious I didn't hit her hard enough to do any damage.

If you don't request an accounting, you cannot have a discussion with the insurance company disputing the debt. Nor can you request pictures substantiating the debt. You need to prep yourself for being sued.

Driving an automobile without insurance will get you noticed by your state's licensing agency and/or law enforcement.

I suggest you prepare for correspondence regarding your vehicle being uninsured, too.

Is she claiming injuries or is the $3,000 the damage to her rear bumper. You'd actually be surprised how much certain bumpers can cost. It sounds like you're replacing the outer shell of the bumper as well as the actual bumper underneath the shell. Add labor to the cost and it could easily be $3,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back