Uninhabitable converted garage

S

Stuffame

Jurisdiction
California
We are living in an apartment that is a converted garage that is being deemed uninhabitable by the city of Placentia and at the same time the owner has told us that we have to be out by the end of the month. (2 days after we paid our rent)We haven't received any paperwork and have been here 3 yrs. Im trying to find out about a lawsuit against the owner possibly small claims or civil? What would be my best bet and where I might get at least guidance. I have done alot of research and believe we stand a chance of getting alot of back rent reimbursed.

I have done alot of research and believe we stand a chance of getting alot of back rent reimbursed.

No. I don't know what research you found (perhaps you can provide a link to it).

Unless you found a statute or a case decision that says, in print, that the landlord WILL refund all the rent paid since inception if the City of Placentia says now that the unit is uninhabitable, you aren't going to get a dime.

That the city is now saying that the place is "uninhabitable" only gives you the opportunity to leave without owing the landlord any money.

I suspect that the city isn't saying that the place is "uninhabitable" but rather that no one is permitted to live there because of code violations.

That you were "living" in means it wasn't "uninhabitable." If it was "uninhabitable" you couldn't have lived there at all. That's what "uninhabitable" means.

Back