Unfilled Taxes - notice of deficiency - $46,000

fundoomo

Jurisdiction
California
I have received a "Notice of Deficiency" from IRS, for over $46,000! I did not file my taxes for the years 2013 and 2014. Hence, IRS filed my taxes for me. They filed as "married filling SEPARATELY", and didn't claim any deductions.

If the taxes are filed as "married filing jointly", and mortgage interest deduction is taken, I would not owe any back taxes. In fact, I would get a refund. Unfortunately, I did not file the return and am kicking myself for my laziness and procrastination.

So, I am guessing this involves filling 2013 & 2014 returns. My taxes are quite straightforward (salaried employee, with a house mortgage). So I don't need help in preparing the returns since I can do so myself. But I do need help in resolving this situation with IRS and FTB. I have no clue how to go about doing that.

The notice says that I have 90 days to dispute this in Tax court. So time is of the essence.

How do I fix this? Is this simple enough to fix by myself by contacting IRS? Or would I be better off with a lawyer representing me?

If you can't help with this, can you kindly refer me to someone who handles this kind of cases?

thanks,
Mo

Your best option is to review the documentation the IRS has surely provided you. You did not offer a reason for failing to file your taxes which suggests you don't likely have one the IRS is going to recognize.

As far as I see it you have waited too long. You will owe late fees and you will not be allowed to claim a refund.

An attorney or tax professional can explain your legal options, but you certainly do not want to miss your 90 day window to appeal and possibly reduce the amount owed.

The issue might be more than you imagine it to be based upon your mention of Tax Court.

Do yourself a favor, meet with a couple of tax attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents, or tax resolution services.

Ask for a complete evaluation of your tax dilemma.

The IRS might be alleging something far more serious than not filing a couple of tax returns over a two year period.

I did not file my taxes for the years 2013 and 2014. . . .

[¶]

So, I am guessing this involves filling 2013 & 2014 returns.

Ya think?

How do I fix this?

Hire a tax attorney.

Is this simple enough to fix by myself by contacting IRS?

We have no idea what abilities you have.

would I be better off with a lawyer representing me?

Probably.

can you kindly refer me to someone who handles this kind of cases?

There's a "find a lawyer" link at the bottom of every page at this site.

Back