Unfair County Job Hiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

oramac68

Hello all, Recently a Local County placed an ad in a newspaper, and posted it within County Offices for a Maintenance/Repair Worker at a County Facility. It had many of the usual requirements such as H.S. diploma, clean driving record, ability to read and write and so on. Some of the more specific requirements were: CDL CLASS A (commercial drivers lic.) REQUIRED, general experience in maintenance of buildings, grounds, basic electrical, plumbing etc., nothing needing formal certification other than the CDL. About 70 people applied, 30 were not considered because of qualifications. There were about 7 who made the final 1st interview. When the last person was about to be interviewed, they called one of the others for a 2nd interview(sounds fishy) As it turns out, this 2nd interviewed person recieved the job, BUT he did not possess the REQUIRED CDL. When questioned about this, the county told me that "his other skills overode the lack of a CDL" HUH? Now, this being a government job should hold them to a higher standard than a private business, since this job was posted in the legal section and publicaly posted, with the CDL REQUIRED terminlogy. This whole scenario smacks of nepotism. So my question is, was this a Unfair Hiring Practice, or at least False advertising? This really isn't right to the 7 who did possess the required license. Hope their not thinking of hiring any doctors or nurses without the proper certifications! Thanks all!

Hi Patricia, I found out all the details from someone who works at the County Office, it's public info. Thanks!

Thanks Pat, I did think of checking with the County Prosecutor, but no doubt he'd be on the phone to the culprits at the county office before I left the building, and they would destroy the paper applications and related material regarding this hiring.That's why I posted the question here, will get impartial feedback. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back