Unethical attorney

freddie1974

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
My wife and I have been a nasty divorce for seven years. My father purchased a home from an investment company of which I live in. He allowed me to secure a loan against the house for home improvement purposes. We had a title issue that appeared quiet some time after, the bank retained my wifes attorney to clear up the issue all the while he was representing her in our pending divorce. He knew the case was regarding my loan. He has since threatened me through my attorney that if I didn't comply with demands he set forth relating to our divorce that he would file fraud and use the house situation against me. BTW I never signed anything allowing him to take care of title issue. I really need some help here, this seems highly illegal and unethical to me.

My wife and I have been a nasty divorce for seven years. My father purchased a home from an investment company of which I live in. He allowed me to secure a loan against the house for home improvement purposes. We had a title issue that appeared quiet some time after, the bank retained my wifes attorney to clear up the issue all the while he was representing her in our pending divorce. He knew the case was regarding my loan. He has since threatened me through my attorney that if I didn't comply with demands he set forth relating to our divorce that he would file fraud and use the house situation against me. BTW I never signed anything allowing him to take care of title issue. I really need some help here, this seems highly illegal and unethical to me.

I would be very careful is casting aspersions and attributing or characterizing perverse motives to the actions of others, especially an attorney, unless you can PROVE those aspersions.
Without knowing more (and I don't want to know more), the lawyer isn't just blowing smoke.
I have my suspicions about why the lawyer is saying what you say you heard.
That said, I suggest you retain an attorney and have a chat with your father.
You need real legal help, not some words from strangers via the internet.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I would be very careful is casting aspersions and attributing or characterizing perverse motives to the actions of others, especially an attorney, unless you can PROVE those aspersions.
Without knowing more (and I don't want to know more), the lawyer isn't just blowing smoke.
I have my suspicions about why the lawyer is saying what you say you heard.
That said, I suggest you retain an attorney and have a chat with your father.
You need real legal help, not some words from strangers via the internet.
Good luck.
Thank you for the advice, maybe my question was too vague. Is it not unethical #1 for an attorney to agree to represent his opposing party's seperate issue through a (3rd party, bank) during another pending litigation such as divorce that he is currently in negotiations with. # 2 The issue that he resolved was found to be correct in my father's favor. If he found some kind of fraud he should have not completed his work and recorded in his findings. I do have an attorney, but with all the frivolous motions having to be filed in order to get the Judge to demand requested documentation be provided to our side and his repeated no response to my attorney, (not to mention the mounting legal fees) my case is being pushed to the back burner. I have been advised that I should file a complaint with the bar. My attorney has said "he is sure putting a lot on the line and I don't know why". Just trying to gather enough info. Myself so that my time and efforts are all for nothing.

I'm not your lawyer. But, has your lawyer inquired about the arrangement between you and your father?

I suspect the opposing counsel believes fraud is involved in your arrangement.

You are certainly free to file a complaint with the state bar association.

Yes, legal issues can be costly, which is why I advise my clients to negotiate a settlement.

Back