Unemployment Issue

AaronF89

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I was on unemployment for 4 weeks due to a temporary layoff from work, once I returned from work I received a call about my resume posted online from a temporary service and I turned down the work because I had returned to work already, when I called MARVIN they had reported that I turned down work and now I'm having issues with claiming my benefits, did the temp service break the law here? What are my rights in this situation?

Ohio (Michigan) like my state has a system that allows employers to notify the state if a person refuses work so the temp firm didn't break any law.

Since you had already returned to work when you refused work it should have no effect.

Check with the state and make sure they have the dates right.

just wish it was easier to contact the UIA office, I feel the temp service screwed me here and I shouldn't be having issues claiming my benefits since I returned to work with the employer who laid me off

No, you shouldn't but don't be so fast to blame the temp service. Since there is clearly a date issue involved it is just as likely that the UIA made the error as the temp service.

the phone service gave the correct dates, I returned to work Monday last week and the temp service called me Tuesday, my MARVIN date was yesterday, when I called MARVIN it had my two claim weeks listed and I claimed the week before last and declined benefits for last week but i'm having trouble claiming the week I needed because of the issue

The only folks that fix it is the UIA. You just need to be very clear that you did refuse the job because you had already returned to work.

Use dates when you explain it to them.

I'm curious. Why would you imagine that there would be a law prohibiting the temp agency from saying you turned down work, when you did turn down work?

Back