Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Underage drinking -NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempvr

I recently got 2 tickets; underage drinking (Im 18 yrs) and drinking in public in NYC while I was holding my friend's beer (who is 22 yrs) while he went to find a bathroom to use. At the time I was talking to my other friend who was drinking (also 22 yrs). We were approached by a cop who cited my friend for drinking in public and me for that and underage drinking. At that time I had no idea that underage drinking charge was a criminal offense and therefore didn't tell the cop that it was my friend's. The officer's partner also incorrectly told me that it was no big deal and gave me a paper with directions to mail the payment out so I dont have to appear in court.
I later found that it only applied to drinking in public which is only a civil infraction. The officer didn't give us a breathalyzer test and also forgot to fill out the the place of occurence on the underage ticket. This is the first time that I have been charged with this and am wondering if there is a way that I can avoid the criminal charge and have the tickets dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back