uncooperative tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbg23

I have tenant that I gave a verbal eviction in June. I told her she had until July 31 to move. However she is still there. In her original agreement it stated that if some one wanted to buy the house, she had first option to buy. The tenant is not buying. I was wondering what was legal for us to do in order to get her out as soon as possible? Thanks.

Give her $500 to sign a quit claim deed, give you the keys, and leave as soon as possible.

Formal eviction through court action. But it would be wise that you relate your case with a lawyer personally to assess whatever available and viable legal moves that apply in your case.

What state was this in? Normally you must first give a "notice to vacate" this is done in writing, not verbal. If tenant does not move then you go to court and begin eviction process. Your mistake was the "verbal" notice

this was in mississippi. yes it is my mistake. this is the first time for me to have a rent house and i messed it up. however, i have learned from it. do you think there might be any other action i might can take legally?

kbg23

Does this person have a lease (i.e., a year lease, a month to month lease)?

If not she would be considered a month to month renter. This typically requires just a 30 day (written) notice to vacate the premises (in some states such as mine the landlord must give a 60 day notice). No reason has to actually be given for your decision.

If she fails to abide by this notice the next step is filing in court for a legal eviction. Some folks who are not familiar with this process hire an eviction attorney to handle the process.

Gail

this person had a 90 day lease. but it is up and there has not been another lease written up. also i was wondering since i am the land lord, am i able to walk in any time without her permission?

If the lease expired then tenant is month to month. No you cannot just waltz in when you feel like it you must give 24 hours notice

ok well it is now time for her rent to be paid. she has not paid it so can i change the locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back