Unconstitutional state taxes on Imports/Exports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntech

Being a truck driver I am running into the multitude of state taxes that the trucking industry has to deal with on a day to day basis. And all these taxes got me thinking and then researching some thoughts I had. And I seem to have run across a can of worms that are just begging to be opened.

So let me show you what I found here and tell me what you think about this as a case.

Here is the provision of the Constitution thats in question.

Article 1 section 10 paragraph 2.
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing its inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Control of the Congress.

While states were given the power to tax imports and exports it comes with a caveat. They are not allowed to keep the money. This section is a Constitutional earmark dedicating this income to the Federal treasury. The idea being that States would not tax these protected items if they couldn't keep it. But allowing them the power to protect domestic products from cheap imports.

With a little more investigation I did find out there the states are using a direct tax/indirect tax argument. That this section of the Constitution only applies to a direct tax on these products. And then they argue that their taxes are indirect taxes and are allowed.

But then I figured out the big lie.

It seems that when the Founding Fathers were hammering out the original Constitution they were keeping the populace informed of their actions through a series of newspaper articles called the Federalist Papers. And they were so proud of their new creation here that they left a couple of paragraphs in the Federalist papers describing how it was supposed to work. And why they created it.

The skinny is that Article 1 sec. 10 para. 2 is supposed to apply to all state taxes applied to imports or exports. And one of their big targets for this law was toll roads. They wanted to protect the citzens of one state from having to pay excessive toll taxes to another just to get their international commerce through.

And here is what the Founding Fathers thought as they were creating this Constitutional provision. And the thing to remember is that they thought this was a Domestic Tranquility issue. Take particular note of Federalist #42.

The Federalist #7.
The competitions of commerce would be another fruitful source of contention. The States less favorably circumstanced would be desirous of escaping from the disadvantages of local situation, and of sharing in the advantages of their more fortunate neighbors. Each State, or separate confederacy, would pursue a system of commercial policy peculiar to itself. This would occasion distinctions, preferences, and exclusions, which would beget discontent. The habits of intercourse, on the basis of equal privileges, to which we have been accustomed since the earliest settlement of the country, would give a keener edge to those causes of discontent than they would naturally have independent of this circumstance. WE SHOULD BE READY TO DENOMINATE INJURIES THOSE THINGS WHICH WERE IN REALITY THE JUSTIFIABLE ACTS OF INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGNTIES CONSULTING A DISTINCT INTEREST. The spirit of enterprise, which characterizes the commercial part of America, has left no occasion of displaying itself unimproved. It is not at all probable that this unbridled spirit would pay much respect to those regulations of trade by which particular States might endeavor to secure exclusive benefits to their own citizens. The infractions of these regulations, on one side, the efforts to prevent and repel them, on the other, would naturally lead to outrages, and these to reprisals and wars.
The opportunities which some States would have of rendering others tributary to them by commercial regulations would be impatiently submitted to by the tributary States. The relative situation of New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey would afford an example of this kind. New York, from the necessities of revenue, must lay duties on her importations. A great part of these duties must be paid by the inhabitants of the two other States in the capacity of consumers of what we import. New York would neither be willing nor able to forego this advantage. Her citizens would not consent that a duty paid by them should be remitted in favor of the citizens of her neighbors; nor would it be practicable, if there were not this impediment in the way, to distinguish the customers in our own markets. Would Connecticut and New Jersey long submit to be taxed by New York for her exclusive benefit? Should we be long permitted to remain in the quiet and undisturbed enjoyment of a metropolis, from the possession of which we derived an advantage so odious to our neighbors, and, in their opinion, so oppressive? Should we be able to preserve it against the incumbent weight of Connecticut on the one side, and the co-operating pressure of New Jersey on the other? These are questions that temerity alone will answer in the affirmative.

The Federalist #35.
The maxim that the consumer is the payer, is so much oftener true than the reverse of the proposition, that it is far more equitable that the duties on imports should go into a common stock, than that they should redound to the exclusive benefit of the importing States.
What they were worried about was the possibility of war and insurrection over the payment of taxes from one state to another. And they belived that such taxes should go to a common fund as the solution. Aka the treasury clause in Article 1 sec. 10 para. 2.
And this leads us to Federalist #42.
The defect of power in the existing Confederacy to regulate the commerce between its several members, is in the number of those which have been clearly pointed out by experience. To the proofs and remarks which former papers have brought into view on this subject, it may be added that without this supplemental provision, the great and essential power of regulating foreign commerce would have been incomplete and ineffectual. A very material object of this power was the relief of the States which import and export through other States, from the improper contributions levied on them by the latter. Were these at liberty to regulate the trade between State and State, it must be foreseen that ways would be found out to load the articles of import and export, during the passage through their jurisdiction, with duties which would fall on the makers of the latter and the consumers of the former. We may be assured by past experience, that such a practice would be introduced by future contrivances; and both by that and a common knowledge of human affairs, that it would nourish unceasing animosities, and not improbably terminate in serious interruptions of the public tranquillity. To those who do not view the question through the medium of passion or of interest, the desire of the commercial States to collect, in any form, an indirect revenue from their uncommercial neighbors, must appear not less impolitic than it is unfair; since it would stimulate the injured party, by resentment as well as interest, to resort to less convenient channels for their foreign trade. But the mild voice of reason, pleading the cause of an enlarged and permanent interest, is but too often drowned, before public bodies as well as individuals, by the clamors of an impatient avidity for immediate and immoderate gain.
The necessity of a superintending authority over the reciprocal trade of confederated States, has been illustrated by other examples as well as our own. In Switzerland, where the Union is so very slight, each canton is obliged to allow to merchandises a passage through its jurisdiction into other cantons, without an augmentation of the tolls. In Germany it is a law of the empire, that the princes and states shall not lay tolls or customs on bridges, rivers, or passages, without the consent of the emperor and the diet; though it appears from a quotation in an antecedent paper, that the practice in this, as in many other instances in that confederacy, has not followed the law, and has produced there the mischiefs which have been foreseen here. Among the restraints imposed by the Union of the Netherlands on its members, one is, that they shall not establish imposts disadvantageous to their neighbors, without the general permission.

The Federalist #44.
"No State shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing its inspection laws, and the net produce of all duties and imposts laid by any State on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress. No State shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty on tonnage, keep troops or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another State, or with a foreign power, or engage in war unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay."
The restraint on the power of the States over imports and exports is enforced by all the arguments which prove the necessity of submitting the regulation of trade to the federal councils. It is needless, therefore, to remark further on this head, than that the manner in which the restraint is qualified seems well calculated at once to secure to the States a reasonable discretion in providing for the conveniency of their imports and exports, and to the United States a reasonable check against the abuse of this discretion. The remaining particulars of this clause fall within reasonings which are either so obvious, or have been so fully developed, that they may be passed over without remark.
They considered taxes levied by one state on another to be unfair and improper. And as a future cause of insurrections and civil wars.

And a question. Was there a court ruling on this at any time? Any cases out there that covered this subject?

Federalist paper source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Papers

Last edited:
Hire a lawyer.

File a lawsuit.

The oddest thing happened to me last week. I got a traffic ticket for a expired truck registration. And after some thought I realized I had my ready made defense ready to go. Is it possible to cause a constitutional crisis over a traffic ticket? :dgrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back