unauthorized use of my bank card?

AdamN

Jurisdiction
Florida
So, I live in Florida, Someone in New York got into my Dominos.com account and ordered $150 worth of food using my bank account information saved on the site. I have changed all the account information, and removed the accounts from the dominos site, but the damage was still done.

Is there anything I should be doing law enforcement wise?
I Have the address, and apartment number, and possibly a name, and a list of everything that was ordered.

Yes. You should contact the police in the area where the crime occurred and ask to make a report. Your bank will probably require that in order to validate your claim to have the money restored to your account.

Yes. You should contact the police in the area where the crime occurred and ask to make a report. Your bank will probably require that in order to validate your claim to have the money restored to your account.

My bank actually, has told me I have to wait for the pending transaction to actually go through and take the money out, then I am supposed to just dispute the claim with the bank, and have the charges reversed.. But this is something I was going to bring up when I went back to the bank to make the dispute.

Make sure you carefully and thoroughly read your accountholder's agreement and follow the proper procedure to notify the bank in writing. Do it now. Don't let anybody tell you to "wait." "Wait" is a dirty word when it comes to this kind of thing.

Also, don't wait to file a police report. Do that now, too.

You'll have to find out what NYPD precinct covers the address involved and call there. It may take you quite a while on the phone to get through to someone who will help - reports are not often taken over the phone, but in a case like this it shouldn't be an issue, although getting through to make the complaint may take a while.

Alright. I've got a report in with the local police department. They told me that they would be getting in contact with the department in New York, and that I wouldn't need to file a second report with them.

Alright. I've got a report in with the local police department. They told me that they would be getting in contact with the department in New York, and that I wouldn't need to file a second report with them.

This is sufficient and most common. Identity theft reports are often taken where the victim resides. The agency taking the report will determine the appropriate jurisdiction(s) to forward the report to.
I will tell you now that nobody will ever investigate this as the value of the loss is so low it will be at the bottom of the pile forever.
However, the fact that you made a report and have a report number will likely satisfy the credit agency enough to compensate you for the fraudulent charge.
That is likely all you really want anyway.

This is sufficient and most common. Identity theft reports are often taken where the victim resides. The agency taking the report will determine the appropriate jurisdiction(s) to forward the report to.
I will tell you now that nobody will ever investigate this as the value of the loss is so low it will be at the bottom of the pile forever.
However, the fact that you made a report and have a report number will likely satisfy the credit agency enough to compensate you for the fraudulent charge.
That is likely all you really want anyway.

In the end, I guess, yes. As long as I am not out the money, and am able to get it back, I will be fine in the end. I mean, I would love to see the jerk off that did this get his just dues in the end. I only make $500 a month, so 150 is a lot of money for me at the end of the day.. But I believe it will be as you said, stuck at the bottom of the pile.

I thank you all for you help though. Immediate family was telling me not to bother filing a report on it. But I feel better doing so in the end.

I thank you all for you help though. Immediate family was telling me not to bother filing a report on it. But I feel better doing so in the end.

If you want your money back, the bank or credit card issuer will ALWAYS request you file a police report.

On rare occasions (for very special people), such a report may not be required.

In the future don't leave your credit card information on ANY website.

If you hadn't left the info in your pizza profile, the thief wouldn't have been able to RIP YOU OFF.

Statistics say that in the majority of these cases, the perp is known to the victim.

Just as most murder victims KNEW their killer.

Anyway, I hope this all gets sorted and the money is quickly replaced into your account.

welp, the bank did not ask me to do anything with the police regarding making a report, or well, anything at all. They told me I just needed to wait until the transaction had actually been made, and the money removed from the account before they could file the dispute. Which I have done, and now I just have to wait for the money to be replaced.

I have definitely removed all the account information from the website, and will not be setting anything up like that again..

But I definitely did not know this person.

I work for a bank and an individual whose bank card had been used fraudulently would NEVER be told to file a police report before taking action. I cannot imagine how clogged up the system would become if everyone who ever has their card information used fraudulently had to file a police report! Our e-banking department deals with this sort of thing on a daily basis.

I've had a credit card used fraudulently and the credit card company contacted me because the transactions were done at stores way out of my normal area (several states away). They verified that I hadn't done the transactions, reversed the charges off the account, closed that account out and opened a new one, and issued me a new card, but not one word was ever said about taking any sort of action to report it to the police.

If your wallet or purse was stolen, then you might want to report that to the police, but it would never be a requirement, or even a request, in order to dispute a transaction and refund the money to your account.

It does make sense, however, that the bank would have to wait until the disputed transaction had actually cleared the account before they could refund the money, because there are all sorts of regulations and rules regarding e-banking that govern that, and you can't actually refund money that hasn't come out of the account yet, even if it shows that the charges on the card are pending.

Back