TX vehicle will not pass inspection

J

JonathanTop

Jurisdiction
Texas
I bought a car in November and since November the car hasn't been able to pass the inspection. Can I ask them to return the vehicle regardless I have used it?

Did you have the car inspected by a mechanic trusted by you before you purchased it? Was it purchased from a dealer or a private individual? Were you offered any kind of guarantee that the car would pass inspection?

No, the car wasn't inspected and I bought it from a delear.
I don't know if they offered me any guarantee that it would pass the inspection, although I paid for the registration (therefore the car needs to pass the inspection...).
The car was sold "as-is" without any repair guarantee.

I bought a car in November and since November the car hasn't been able to pass the inspection. Can I ask them to return the vehicle regardless I have used it?

Did you buy the car from a private person, or a car dealer/car lot???

If you bought the car from anyone, you do have a few rights in Texas.

Most states allow the buyer the right to cancel the sale if the vehicle doesn't pass a mandatory emissions test, making such a sale against Texas consumer law.

In certain counties the TCEQ will give you $600 if your income is below a certain level. Here's more info:

AirCheckTexas Drive a Clean Machine — Vehicle Repair Assistance Program - TCEQ - www.tceq.state.tx.us

The majority of states have an emissions law that requires the car to pass the emissions test, if it won't pass our mandatory emissions test, then you may have the right to cancel the sale.

Sellers and car dealers generally will try to talk you out of it, but these laws generally apply to all sellers and not just car dealers.

Canceling your deal because the car can't pass the state mandated emissions test requires the seller take back the vehicle and return all of your money to you.

If, however, the car has bad brakes, leaks oil, or other mechanical issues, you're stuck with the old, rusting, rattling bucket-O-bolts.

Now, because the law says a person must, doesn't mean he or she will.

You must then consult an attorney, or try to report the problem through DMV.

FYI, the Texas inspection depends upon where in the state you are. The safety inspection is statewide, but emissions only get checked in 17 counties. I didn't bother looking up any more detailed information.

FYI, the Texas inspection depends upon where in the state you are. The safety inspection is statewide, but emissions only get checked in 17 counties. I didn't bother looking up any more detailed information.

Plus you must be financially disadvantaged, which used to mean poor.

Back