Two roommate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deceptiveat70

Just a quick question:

I lived with my roommate for a year. Toward the end of our lease we had a falling out and pretty much stopped talking to each other. I had found another place to live and had informed her well in advance i would not be renewing the lease. She got pissed...etc..etc.

Anyway to the point: When we moved out the carpet was a mess. We had had a lot of fun and a lot of parties and that was the price we paid...thus is life. I informed her a couple weeks in advance of the days that i would be around to clean out the apartment and get things back to spick-and-span. So i rented an industrial carpet cleaner and headed over to the apt. I spent 3, 14 hour, days cleaning up the entire place (including her disaster of a room out of which she had taken only the things she needed nad left the rest). She never showed up.

Unfortunately, after all of my efforts, they ended up pulling the carpet and sending me a bill for $750. Seeing as i was in the process of moving out of state (Detroit to Chicago) i figured i would just pay it off and then get the money from her. Big mistake.

I presented her with the itemized bill for why they had pulled our carpet and asked her for $600 (her share of the issues on the invoice. These are things that she did directly and was responsible for, hence she ends up owing $600 and i only owed $150) or at least the promise that she would pay it. She threw a fit and i have not heard from her since.

So i guess my question is, if i have all the documentation to prove that she owes me this money can i just take her to small claims court for it? or is there something i am missing here?

and also if i have receipts to verify the costs is there any way i can get back any of the money spent to clean the apartment in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back