Trying to get legal guardianship of my niece

J

Janedo5513

Jurisdiction
California
My father currently has legal guardianship of my niece. Him and his wife are not providing the care that she needs (I was just out there this past December and saw it all). The form was filled out in California but he since retired and moved to Vegas. He never informed the courts about this because it would have been in the document minutes online. I know it would be simple to remove him as guardian. The problem is where would I file? In the state she is a resident or my state where I am a resident.

Please help, I love her so much and only want the best for her.
Thank you.

My father currently has legal guardianship of my niece. Him and his wife are not providing the care that she needs (I was just out there this past December and saw it all). The form was filled out in California but he since retired and moved to Vegas. He never informed the courts about this because it would have been in the document minutes online. I know it would be simple to remove him as guardian. The problem is where would I file? In the state she is a resident or my state where I am a resident.

Thank you.

I suspect you could contest his legal guardianship in CA, because that is the state that awarded him custody.

Thank you.

I don't think it will be as simple as you think. December was the last time you were at his place? It's May.

Back