Trying to adopt step-daughter. Could use come guidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon4242

Hello and thanks in advance for any and all assistance. I am in the process of trying to adopt my step-daughter. The biological father left right before she was born and now lives in Mexico. He does/will not reply to any attempt to contact him. He has stated that he would agree to terminate his parental right, and then disappeared again. He has never paid child support and I have the paperwork through the courts showing this. I have heard from different sources that it can be as easy as publishing in the paper and as difficult as having to hire a PI. I know the usual answer is "hire a lawyer", but I really cant afford the fees for this. Does anyone know of a resource for step by step process in this situation? I would like to do this myself and want to make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks!

Hello and thanks in advance for any and all assistance. I am in the process of trying to adopt my step-daughter. The biological father left right before she was born and now lives in Mexico. He does/will not reply to any attempt to contact him. He has stated that he would agree to terminate his parental right, and then disappeared again. He has never paid child support and I have the paperwork through the courts showing this. I have heard from different sources that it can be as easy as publishing in the paper and as difficult as having to hire a PI. I know the usual answer is "hire a lawyer", but I really cant afford the fees for this. Does anyone know of a resource for step by step process in this situation? I would like to do this myself and want to make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks!

The mother of the child, your wife, I presume must also be engaged.

In Nevada one special wrinkle arises, if the child is over 12 years of age, the child will be required to sign a consent to the adoption.

You will need to bring yourself up to speed on adoption in general in NV:

http://www.dcfs.state.nv.us/GuideToAdoptionInNevada.pdf

Then you will need to acquaint yourself with stepparent adoption in NV:

https://www.stepparentadoptionforms.com/nevada-adoption/

Finally, you are best served NEVER to link failure to provide child support, parental visitation or involvement (or lack thereof) when discussing parental rights and/or responsibilities.

The court doesn't wish to know how others have failed, but why you will succeed.

The court and our laws will always seek and promote what is best for the child(ren).

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response. The lack of child support is simply to show abandonment on his part. I'll keep that to myself unless asked by the court. The child is nine, so that should not be an issue.

Thanks for your quick response. The lack of child support is simply to show abandonment on his part. I'll keep that to myself unless asked by the court. The child is nine, so that should not be an issue.

Actually, if the child were 13, it might make it easier.

A child wanting a stepparent to be their mom or pop speaks volumes to the court.

The lack of child support doesn't illustrates ABANDONMENT to the court, no more than paying child spport and more proves involvement in a child's life.

Again, focus on WHY you want to be dad, how you have parented the child so far, and how you want co-parent with your spouse into the future.

You sound like a great guy, and I bet you are already a great parent.

Some piece of legal paper won't improve you, sir.

Your head and heart are already in the right place.

There are a few valid reasons one might be unable to pay child support.

Last edited:
She's 9, almost 10 and I raised her from 2 months old. She is a big daddy's girl. I would think she would be old enough that her wishes would come into play, but again, I want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back