Truancy law for 19 year old that isn't my child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristin1084

I have a 19 year old living with me that came to me because a cousin told me his daughter was in a homeless shelter in my state. I thought I was picking her up to send her home but found out she was in a domestic violence center and refused to go home. She is a little slow and lacks common sense but I didn't feel good about forcing her to go home so I told her that as long as she finished school and worked that I would let he stay in my extra room. I work a lot and at one point I was contacted by the school about her truancy and I told her that she couldn't stay with me if she is skipping school. So I just get a letter stating that they were going to refer me to truancy court for her absences. She is 19 and not even my kid. I don't have any legal guardianship. Can they force me to go to court for a kid that isn't mine and is 19?

If you've been summoned to court, simply appear as directed, tell your story, and you won't be pestered or annoyed further.
The key factors here are, you're not the ADULT's guardian or parent.
The ADULT is (or was) a guest in your home.
But, don't ignore it.
You must address it.
You can also contact an attorney, and have the matter quashed.
It may cost you some time, but if you ignore it, it'll cost you MONEY.

You might also want to ask the GUEST to leave.
Otherwise, you'll have to evict them, if they get information from the street scum.

It may already be too late, because when you as the MOOCHER to leave, it might not be as stupid as you think.

They often KNOW you have to EVICT them through JP COURT, if they refuse to leave.

Getting them out through eviction costs about $100-125, and usually takes six to eight weeks, sometimes longer in larger cities and counties.

In the future, don't allow ANYONE to stay in your home.
It rarely ends well for the Good Samaritan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back