Tricky School+Athletics policy. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sack

State: Washington

I'm posting here to find out to what extent i can cut down a consequence given to me to a more fair level, or depleting it completely.

Background
In June of last school year, at the end of the 08-09 year, i passed on some test answers (which i didn't really know for sure were right or not, just going off of what the person told me) to another student, whom did NOT end up using them. He threw them away. (Note: I was not enrolled in the class the answers were for).

The next school year (this one of 09-10), the administration is just now deciding to put their foot down on the matter and treating it as an "honesty policy violation". This would be my 2nd offense ever, which would generally constitute the following consequence:

2nd Offense:
This may be the same class or a different class, in the
same school year or a different school year, from the 1st
offense. The student's parent/guardian will be notified by
the classroom teacher and the student will be referred to
an administrator. The student will receive a score of zero
on the assignment, activity or test, and will be ineligible
for any and all extra credit, and/or credit restoration in the
affected class. In addition, the student will be suspended
from all extra-curricular activities (both participation and
attendance for two weeks. The violation will be noted in
the student's permanent file

This would mean no football for 2 weeks, missing 2 of the most important games of the year. It would also ruin my composure and not want to come back because of the shame, even though i'd consider it.
End Background

However, did what i do constitute as a violation of the policy? Obviously it falls under the cheating category. At the time of the offense (under the 08-09 rules), the following would violate the policy:

Cheating:
1. acting dishonestly and practicing fraud (deliberate deception in order
to secure unfair or unlawful gain);
2. assisting, encouraging, inciting, helping, or participating in misrepre-
senting someone's work as your own;
3. "wandering eyes" (allowing one's eyes to stray to another person's
work on quizzes or tests); or
4. using unauthorized material including textbooks, notes, calculators, or
computer programs during an examination or other assignment.

I didn't commit fraud, claim other work as my own, wander my eyes, or use materials to gain an advantage.

However, even if what i did is to fall under the category of a violation of the policy anyways, there is also a statement in the Rights and Responsibilities that says the following:

The methods employed in enforcing the rules of the school involve profes-
sional judgment. The following factors should be considered:
1. Consistency from day to day, student to student, and teacher to
teacher;
2. Severity of the misconduct;
3. The student's nature and prior behavior;
4. Fairness to the student, parent, and others;
5. Effectiveness; and
6. Effect of misconduct on the educational environment.

1) My behavior is consistently good and on-task. I'm not rowdy or otherwise a trouble maker.
2) While cheating isn't the smallest misconduct, it's not as severe as the bulk. It wasn't an actual crime, it wasn't physical harm. My specific role was not filled with countless misdeeds.
3) Again, my nature and prior behavior is very adequate and non-disruptive to rules. Typically I'm a good student.
4. It is not fair to me to take away the only fun long-term activity i will have my senior year. After this season i'm off to college campus at night to make up credits i need to graduate. It's not fair to my parents who put out $200 for me to play a full season, yet not get their money's worth. It's not fair to my grandparents who donated $100 to the program when we sent out mandatory pleads. It's not fair to my teammates and coaches to find a replacement and have one less member.
5/6) There was very little if any effect on the educational environment, seeing as how my involvement only led to the person i handed off the 'said answers' not even using them and throwing them away. Whether or not it was potentially a threat is irrelevant as far as the matter of an effect on the environment because of me goes.

So i ask, is it plausible for me to fight this until the end? It means a lot to me my senior year and don't want to just let it go. Or do i have no chance?

At the end of the day, my thought is that this is about people not "law" in the strict sense. If you acknowledge your wrongdoing, take it seriously, show that you do, and merely ask for a lighter "sentence" which you feel might be unduly harsh, so be it. I'd probably ask for some leniency if you've suffered a real punishment. Your problem is that this is your second strike on a VERY serious issue - honesty. It doesn't matter whether the student used what you passed and I might bring it up that you understand it. You appreciate the consequences of your action. You feel that you aren't getting off lightly even if the sentence is such and such. That's the way to convince an administrator to go easy on you. Arguing points of law... I'd think the brat hasn't learned a thing and still doesn't "get the point." Make sense? Good luck to you.

Yes, it's quite understandable. I ended up pleading for a "lighter sentence" with definite remorse and understanding for my actions, but to no avail in the end.. But the 2-weeks suspension from sports is over and i'm back on the field.

-Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back