Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass trespassing charge in iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadiniowa

i was recently divorced my wife was awarded the house and i had 20 days to get my property out of the house. I sent her letters to get my stuff out and she didnt respond. I went to the home and tried to get my property and tried to shake the doors but they were locked. i left and was given a citation for trespassing. the citation states with intent to committ a public offense. do i have any defense?

i was recently divorced my wife was awarded the house and i had 20 days to get my property out of the house. I sent her letters to get my stuff out and she didnt respond. I went to the home and tried to get my property and tried to shake the doors but they were locked. i left and was given a citation for trespassing. the citation states with intent to committ a public offense. do i have any defense?

If you were still living in the house and had 20 days to leave then of course you have a defense. You can't be trespassing on property that you were still permitted to live. With regard to your ex-wife, you can sue her for unlawful eviction. I'm not sure what is going on here and may not have all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back