Tree Limb Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

berniek

The town that I live in has a tree protection and removal ordinance. The town has adopted the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A400-1995 Pruning Specification as a guideline for acceptable pruning methods. It is my understanding that the law allows me to remove branches from a neighbors tree that threaten my house. There are trees on town property, adjacent to my house, that have branches overhanging my power lines and my house that I would like to remove. The ANSI standard establishes limitations on branch removal to protect the tree. Would the town ordinance or the accepted practice of removing threatening branches prevail in this instance?

berniek said:
The town that I live in has a tree protection and removal ordinance. The town has adopted the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A400-1995 Pruning Specification as a guideline for acceptable pruning methods. It is my understanding that the law allows me to remove branches from a neighbors tree that threaten my house. There are trees on town property, adjacent to my house, that have branches overhanging my power lines and my house that I would like to remove. The ANSI standard establishes limitations on branch removal to protect the tree. Would the town ordinance or the accepted practice of removing threatening branches prevail in this instance?

The easiest way is to speak to your neighbor first and hopefully have him pay for the removal. In addition, if you can both agree amicably it fosters a better relationship. By law, your local ordinance is likely the law that would apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back