Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Treatment during extradition transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrC0

My son was recently arrested at his home in New Hampshire. Later that evening my son's wife was told by a local policeman that her husband was in jail and asked that the policeman call her. Wife attended a hearing next morning where son was asked if he had an attorney. He said no. The sheriff than told the judge that he (sheriff) had discussed this with son and son wanted to sign waiver of extradition, go to Florida and get the matter settled. Son was presented the waiver and signed it. He asked if he could do something (not sure what) and was told you signing means you are a fugitive from justice. Florida will come and get you until then you will be incarcerated. Family has not seen son since.
He has been gone for nearly three weeks. His wife was at one point told that he would be in Florida in two days. She had hired an attorney and set up bail and so went to Florida to meet her husband. He did not arrive. She was told that there was nothing that could be done. He did not get there and they could not say when he would. She checked with the attorney and was told the SAME thing. She went home $$$
The business failure was about 18 months ago. Son did not flee. He moved because of a job in New Hampshire. He filed his federal income tax statement and voted in 2004 and payroll taxes are being paid. He even has the same cel phone number as when he was in Florida. He was President of the company that failed owing a customer money since it could not deliver the product.
He finally arrived in Florida this evening and spoke to his wife. He described the ordeal as "SICK". He has not been allowed to bath or shave for over two weeks. He has worn the same clothes and underwear for that entire time. At one point he spent 9 days somewhere in Pennsylvania and was given no explanation as to what was going on, He never knew when the ordeal might end.
My son was told that he would be sent a bill for $1500 for the transportation.
Are there no protections for people who have volunteered to go and deal with the law?
Shouldn't conditions during transport be as good as in prison?
Is a sheriff allowed to advise as to the implicaions of signing a waiver?
Is this still America the beautiful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back