travel out of the US and re-entry

butterfliesx3

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I recently got charged for possession controlled substance first defense. I'm still waiting on the arraignment. However, I already bought a ticket to travel out of the country for 4 weeks. I want to know if I have any issue of re-entry, even though my attorney said he assumed it to be okay since I only got "charged", not "convicted" and since his field is not immigration so he has to look into it a little more. I'm being impatient because my trip is next week and want to know what is the consequence of my case effect to re-entry the US.

I recently got charged for possession controlled substance first defense. I'm still waiting on the arraignment. However, I already bought a ticket to travel out of the country for 4 weeks. I want to know if I have any issue of re-entry, even though my attorney said he assumed it to be okay since I only got "charged", not "convicted" and since his field is not immigration so he has to look into it a little more. I'm being impatient because my trip is next week and want to know what is the consequence of my case effect to re-entry the US.

Okay, read this booklet lawyers use to defend people who are lawful immigrants:
https://ailp.law.uiowa.edu/sites/ailp.law.uiowa.edu/files/Crimmigration Guide.pdf
There is a great possibility that you will be barred reentry.
You should also know that most Iowa criminal defendants are instructed NOT to leave the country during the legal proceedings.
If I were you, I'd focus on behaving myself, and preparing for my trial.

Once you've been convicted of a drug charge, you can then be deported, too.

You can talk to an immigration attorney or ask the uscis (you can do so anonymously if you wish).

Back