Traffic ticket stolen identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamstidi

My jurisdiction is: Colorado

My problem is that I currently have a bench warrant under my name for a traffic violation I did not committ. Note that I am positive I know who used my identity. The story is I currently reside in Houston, Texas. I moved here from Denver, CO about two years ago. I recently received a letter at my parent's home in colorado from the Colorado Department of Revenue. The letter indicated my drivers license would be cancelled in about a month due to providing no proof of insurance. I knew someone had used my identity. After some investigating, I was able to receive a copy of the ticket issued and also discovered I have a bench warrant for failing to appear in court. The person who was ticketed did not have a driver's license so provided my information to the police. The name, address, DOB, SSN, and physical description is a match. Among other things, including the vehicle description being the vehicle my brother drives, the physical match and knowledge of personal information made me positive that my older brother had used my name. The charge on the ticket was "driving a motor vehicle without having a valid license", "driving a motor vehicle without proof of insurance", and "displaying false plates".

Now, I am certain I can prove I am innocent for the following reasons. The information that does not match is the vehicle, which I do not own. The ticket was written on a Sunday Sept. 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM MST in Denver, CO. I can prove I was at work the following morning Monday at 6:45 AM in Houston, TX CST. This would make a nearly impossibly to drive 1000 miles in less than 13 hours, unless I took a plane. However, I did not take a plane and am positive there would be no record of me flying during that time. The most important information is a finger print taken by the officer, that would obviously not match. Additional information is that when I moved to Texas in Jan. 2007 I was issued a Texas driver's license.

With that said what action can I take to clear my name. I am planning to visit Colorado in a month for a period of 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do while here in Texas, aside from hiring a lawyer? What can I expect if I go down to the court house and try to resolve it? Will they arrest me on the spot? Will I need to post some type of bail and attend a later court date? Also, what type of charges could be brought against my brother for using my identity and the consequences? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back