Trademarked Logo Use

ImMarkHe

Jurisdiction
New York
I am a small business and people ask me to put trademarked logos on my items. Sports team logos for example. I've heard one way to do this legally is to have the customer buy the actual licensed product/logo (typically decal or sticker) and have me apply it to my item during the build or finishing process. My research indicates this is an infringement.

My research indicates this is an infringement.

You're no dummy, mate.

You're quite smart not to allow crooks and scammers to get you into a legal bind.

As former First Lady Nancy Reagan once said, "Just say no!!!"

justSayNo.png

If you are making items out of already legally licensed material and not using the trademark to market things, then this is legal. The first sale doctrine says that they can't exert further control once the item passes into the stream of commerce. Of course, that doesn't stop certain aggressive rights holders from attempting to bully people over it.

I am a small business and people ask me to put trademarked logos on my items. Sports team logos for example.

You're not a business, you're a human (presumably). What is the business in which you are engaged? Who are these people, and why are they asking you to do this?

I've heard one way to do this legally is to have the customer buy the actual licensed product/logo (typically decal or sticker) and have me apply it to my item during the build or finishing process. My research indicates this is an infringement.

Ok...do you have a question? Whether what you've heard or what your research indicates is correct depends on the relevant facts, including exactly what you're doing with the products on which the logos appear.

Back