Towing Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncnofear

Sec. 12-7002. DEFINITIONS.
For purposes of this chapter, certain words and terms are defined as follows:
(a) Abandoned vehicle.
An abandoned motor vehicle is one that is:
(1) Left upon a publicstreet or highway in violation of a law or ordinance prohibiting parking; or
(2) Left on a publicstreet or highway for longer than seven (7) days; or
(3) Left onproperty owned or operated by the City for longer than twenty-four (24) hours; or
(4) Left on privateproperty without the consent of the owner , occupant or lessee thereof, for longer than two (2) hours.

Sec. 12-7005. REMOVAL OF ABANDONED OR NUISANCE VEHICLES; PRE-TOWING NOTICE REQUIREMENTS.
Except as set forth in §12-7006 below, avehicle to be removed because it has been abandoned or declared to be a nuisance vehicle shall be towed only after notice to the registered owner or person entitled to possession of the vehicle . In such instances, notice shall be given by affixing on the windshield or some other conspicuous place on the vehicle a notice indicating that the vehicle will be removed by the City on a specified date (no sooner than seven (7) days after the notice is affixed), unless the vehicle is moved by the owner or legal possessor prior to this time.
With respect toabandoned vehicles on private property and nuisance vehicles , if the registered owner or person entitled to possession does not remove the vehicle but chooses to appeal the determination that the vehicle is abandoned or a nuisance vehicle , such appeal shall be made to the City Council in writing , heard at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Council , and further proceedings to remove the vehicle shall be stayed until the appeal is heard and decided.
(Ord. No. 1984-294, §2, 2-21-84)

Sec. 12-7006. EXCEPTIONS TO PRIOR NOTICE REQUIREMENT.
The requirement that notice be affixed to anabandoned or nuisance vehicle at least seven (7) days prior to removal may , as determined by the authorizing official , be omitted in those circumstances where there is a special need for prompt action to eliminate traffic obstructions or to otherwise maintain and protect the public safety and welfare. Such findings shall , in all cases, be entered by the authorizing official in the appropriate daily records. Circumstances justifying the removal of vehicles without prior notice include:
(a) Vehicles abandoned on the streets.
Forvehicles left on the public streets and highways, such circumstances include, and the City Council hereby determines that immediate removal of such vehicles may be warranted when they are:
(1) Obstructing traffic (Code §11-2171(a)),
(2) Parked at the designated places identified in Code §11-2171(b)(1)--(11),
(3) Parked in a no-stopping or standing zone (Code §11-2173),
(4) Parked in loading zones (Code §11-2177),
(5) Parked in bus zones (Code §11-2178),
(6) Parked in violation of temporary parking restrictions imposed under Code §11-2181.
(b) Other abandoned or nuisance vehicles.
With respect toabandoned or nuisance vehicles left on City -owned property other than the streets and highways, and on private property , such vehicles may be removed without giving prior notice only in those circumstances where the authorizing official finds a special need for prompt action to protect and maintain the public health, safety and welfare. By way of illustration but not limitation, such circumstances include vehicles blocking or obstructing ingress or egress to businesses and residences, vehicles parked in such a location or manner as to pose a traffic hazard, and vehicles causing damage to public or private property .
(Ord. No. 1984-294, §2, 2-21-84)

I'm in NC. My vehicle got towed this evening and I'm looking for a way out of paying $100 since I can barely afford other things. I went out on a date and the girl didn't mention that I needed to park in visitor. I didn't see a sign on the way in. I called the company and they said there is a 24 inch by 24 inch sign that says I need a decal.

My question is did they need to notify me first? Any other advice is welcome as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back