Tough neighbor

Zhawk316

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I have a difficult neighbor that I don't know how to deal with. She screams continuously inside and outside her house. I asked her to stop cussing once and she flipped out and verbally attacked me and spit. Anyways, today, she was driving down our alley around 30mph when the posted speed limit is 15. She nearly hit a child on his bike and there were many kids playing. About ten minutes later, I see her driving down the alley and I walked out into the alley. She stopped and I calmly told her I didn't want a fight. I just want to ask her to please slow down because there are kids around. She drove off in a huff. About 20 minutes later, a cop knocks on my door and says she called him on me. He says I can't do that even though she might hit a kid and to let the police handle it. He then tells me, he's been called to her house many times over five years and there's nothing he can do. He said my best option is to move. This sounds ridiculous to me. Is there anything I can do in this situation? I expected her to call the police so, I have been very careful to stay calm and not say anything that could be miscommunicated or used against me in court. I knew the officer didn't have grounds to do anything to me but it did scare me that he implied I could get in legal trouble.

Who's more crazy - the person driving 30 in an alley, or the person who jumps in front of the person driving 30 in an alley?

You can't be a vigilante - call the cops if you observe this behavior again.

And to address your confidence that the officer didn't have grounds to do anything: Don't be so sure. Jumping out in front of a moving car to force the driver to stop so you can lecture the driver is against the law.

Back