Assault & Battery Took the plea bargain offer for a 4th degree assault. Did I get a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarnism

I got arrested during a football game at my school. I was drunk and said some inappropriate things to a female state trooper. She took away my game ticket and called the backup (university police). They told me to stay 10 feet away. I decided to walk over towards my girlfriend and a friend who were talking to the police officer. He handcuffed me and that was the end of that. In his report he wrote that I walked over with my hand in a "slapping/poking???) motion. This earned me almost 3 days in jail over the weekend and a 4th degree assault on a police officer(attempted assault). Not to mention I missed my exam on monday and blew one on tuesday.
Anyway, after 1 year in court my public defender finally sealed the deal. My charge was reduced to the Disorderly Conduct, 2 year probation, 1 day of cleaning up garbage and $960 in Fines and Court fees. Also it said that I have to stay away from the cop I supposedly wanted to assault.
Few things aren't making too much sense to me... First of all, whats the point of being on a probation if the charge comes off ur record in 2 years anyway? Isnt two years of prbation kind of long anyway, for a first time offender? Also, from hearing other peoples fines in court for similar crimes, my one was at least 4-5 times more? is it because I chose to pick on a cop or is it because I was using a public defender? On top off everything I get slapped with a 1 day work crew...was wondering if it sounds like a decent deal? If not could I still appeal it? I already paid half the fine and did the community service or whatever, maybe get an early out of probation?

It sounds bad, but its not. You seem to have gotten a "deffered" sentence. IF you screw up, even the smallest of infractions, then at the end of probation the charge will stay on your record.

If you are a good boy, it shouldn't show up. (Ya right, when you do a background check in five years, those are on there).

It's funny, somone wrote in here about a person following them with a camera, video recording everything they do, getting the camera within 2 feet. That person was informed in here they could do NOTHING.

Now along you come, don't touch anyone, and we can see something can be done. And you weren't trying to assault anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back