Too Nice

John Palmer

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Ok, I have a good one.... Friends of my family had a farm in Colorado that they were taking care of for their father and the father was taken to an elderly home in return the friends of my family had power of attorney. After a reverse mortgage was done on the home they lived in the home taking care of the property for a couple of years. The friends of my family decided they wanted to sell the property to me and pay off the mortgage. I bought the home and moved in. They asked me if they could stay on the property in my large work shop which has a room with a bathroom in it until they could get their totally gutted out trailer fixed so they could drive it around the country and travel. Since they were family friends I agreed to let them stay for 6 months without any rent. I think I was very kind. At 6 months I told them they needed to start paying me or get out. They wined and bickered with me and told me they just needed 3 more months to get this trailer ready to go and they would be out. I again agreed as they were family friends , but now 2 months have gone by and there has been little progress. They are both older people late 60's and I am tired of letting them live off of me and my family. How do I evict them off the property. I own the property or at least pay my mortgage every month to own it, so what rights do they have? No rent has been collected and no contract in writing on letting them stay on the property was ever done nor put in the mortgage contract. I have taken some money for electric services which they did not want to pay, but they did. What do I do to take rightful possession of my property and to get these people to leave?

Back