Title

Jackie Lewis

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I am legally divorced but my husbands name is still on the title of my vehicle. He has not paid the taxes on his vehicle. The county is saying that I cannot renew my tags until her bill is paid. How do I correct this?

What does your divorce decree say about ownership (including title) and possession of the vehicle?

Also, you wrote that your (ex-?) husband's "name is still on the titled of [your] vehicle," but then you made a reference to "her bill." What is the antecedent of "her" (i.e., to whom are you referring when you refer to "her bill")?

I am legally divorced but my husbands name is still on the title of my vehicle. He has not paid the taxes on his vehicle. The county is saying that I cannot renew my tags until her bill is paid. How do I correct this?
I'm not sure what "this" you are asking about.
If your main concern is getting your tags renewed, then the most straightforward solution is to pay the taxes in order to renew your tags. You can then, at your leisure, have your ex removed from the title to your vehicle. You can also pursue your ex for reimbursement for the amount you paid for his vehicle.

Back