Title transfer after death

Jasgal71

Jurisdiction
California
My mom passed 4yrs ago and I was paying her payments on a boat she had no longer wanted before she died. she wrote a bill of sale that stated I was to get the boat after I paid it off. 2 yrs ago I paid the boat off and the pink slips where sent to my home cause she lived with me. I completely forgot about them and the registration came for the tag renewal and I realized I forgot to transfer it to me. I went and dug it out of old boxes and now don't know how I can get this done. My boyfriend was the executor of her will when she passed. we are married now. So at this point I have the pink slip in her name, a bill of sale she did years before she passed and the will stating my now husband was her executor. She has no outstanding debt or liens to her name. Any advise will help me out here. I also can prove I made 10years worth of payments on the boat too.

Take your documents to the state agency that issues titles and boat registrations.

The clerk will advise you as to what you must do to achieve the goals you seek.

If your husband was the executor of the estate, he should have little difficulty transferring title to you. I assume that's handled through the DMV, so he should carve out a few hours to go down there and handle this.

Yes, he has all the documents for him being the executor. and he would have no problem going with me to DMV. I just worry about all of California laws here. lol. want to make sure I have it all together in one trip.

thank you everyone

Back