Title Jumping Scam

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
My son bought his first used car from a private seller. This guy had a post in FB marketplace and it said the car was in great condition and had clean title. So we met on Sunday because that was convenient for them. We test drove the car and it was in fair condition but my son liked it. While we went to break change in the store, the guy had my son go ahead and sign the title. Then the guy had a bill of sale which my son signed. Later we found out it's not the sellers car but his girlfriends car and it's not even in her name, it's in a dealership name. We asked if they would put it in the girlfriend's name but they said basically no we liked the car and bought it and they don't have the money now and that's on us. So we tried to contact the dealership and those people are shady too. They can't hardly speak English however they did sign the title but will not sign over the bill of sale now. Both parties said they will not help us. We totally took the bait...what can we do now to get the car put into our name so we can drive this car legally?

what can we do now to get the car put into our name so we can drive this car legally?

How much money did your son pay the seller/scammer?

In the future, it might be wise to buy a car ONLY from a licensed car scammer, as in reputable car dealer!

As far as your son being scammed, his only remedy might be to take the matter before a small claims court in your county, assuming he can locate the scammer.

It can't hurt to speak to the sheriff or police, perhaps one or both agencies might be able to assist you, or at least offer you advice as to how you can proceed.

How much money did your son pay the seller/scammer?

In the future, it might be wise to buy a car ONLY from a licensed car scammer, as in reputable car dealer!

As far as your son being scammed, his only remedy might be to take the matter before a small claims court in your county, assuming he can locate the scammer.

It can't hurt to speak to the sheriff or police, perhaps one or both agencies might be able to assist you, or at least offer you advice as to how you can proceed.
Thank you, my son paid $2,250 for the car. I took off work so that I can go to the police station from the area where the scam took place. Is small claims thru the court the only way, I can get this car registered in our name?

And the reason I went to private seller was so we wouldn't be ripped off. $2,250 lessons learned.

Last edited:
Is small claims thru the court the only way, I can get this car registered in our name?

Small claims is one way you might use to TRY and get his money returned.

As far as the title, that might never be resolved, which is why it is risky to buy a car from someone you don't know.

The police might have their hands tied, too, but its worth asking.

The Highway patrol might be better equipped to assist you, or direct you as to how you can fix this mess.

Most of the time the police will tell you its a civil matter, meaning a lawsuit is all you've got.

Why on earth would you want that car after what you've learned?

In the end, your son might not be able to get the money or ever get the car registered legally.

Don't trust some bum you don't know with $2,000.

The information on this website from your OK government officials might help:

https://www.ok.gov/omvc/pdf/OMVC Statutes 11-09.pdf

Title jumping is illegal in every state.

Even if you purchase a vehicle and turn around the next day and sell it, you are legally required to transfer the title into your name.

Yes, Jumping Titles is a felony in some states and illegal in all 50 states except in certain cases such as when someone has passed away and the family or next of kin wishes to sell the vehicle.

If you are caught Jumping or Skipping Vehicle Titles you will face Fines, Penalties, and Possible Jail Time.

More information:

Title Jumping (How To Avoid Disaster Buying Or Selling Cars)

OK Senate advances bill changing vehicle tag law

My son bought his first used car from a private seller. This guy had a post in FB marketplace and it said the car was in great condition and had clean title. So we met on Sunday because that was convenient for them. We test drove the car and it was in fair condition but my son liked it. While we went to break change in the store, the guy had my son go ahead and sign the title. Then the guy had a bill of sale which my son signed. Later we found out it's not the sellers car but his girlfriends car and it's not even in her name, it's in a dealership name. We asked if they would put it in the girlfriend's name but they said basically no we liked the car and bought it and they don't have the money now and that's on us. So we tried to contact the dealership and those people are shady too. They can't hardly speak English however they did sign the title but will not sign over the bill of sale now. Both parties said they will not help us. We totally took the bait...what can we do now to get the car put into our name so we can drive this car legally?
How old is your son?

He just turned 20, but this is his first car he bought that was supposed to be in his name. He is still naive when it comes to business deals. We all are.

We were trying to teach him to grow and learn how to do things on his own. However, it was not supposed to go like this.

Just wanting to keep you posted. We got the people whose name was on the the title to notarize it, and other documentation that we collected and was approved for registration! Thank you Jesus,God is good! All praise and glory to the Lord! There is power in prayer yall.

Just wanting to keep you posted. We got the people whose name was on the the title to notarize it, and other documentation that we collected and was approved for registration! Thank you Jesus,God is good! All praise and glory to the Lord! There is power in prayer yall.

Those deals almost never turn out that way. You got some serious good luck there. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

Those deals almost never turn out that way. You got some serious good luck there. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

I feel so sorry for those people whose situations look bleak. I know how it feels to feel like a victim and no one cares, almost a hopeless feeling. I wish we had a better system in place to help people who naively get scammed. Idk what made these people change their minds...but fortunately for us they did. I can't help but believe it was the Lord.

Back