Title as judge -- is it for ever & ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themis

A judge who resigns from the bench and continues to be called "judge" is said to be acceptable. I cannot find anything whatsoever that justifies this alleged acceptability except in the cases of "retired judges" who can be recalled to active status. I do understand that it's acceptable in purely "social situations" that ALL former judges can be called by title even though it still doesn't make much sense when they've deliberately quit their job.

Wouldn't it be considered "consumer fraud" if its done in the context of "commercial speech" or in a "business context" without some sort of disclaimer or at the very least, a notificiation that the person is a "former judge?" What rules or laws actually apply to giving them this peculiar status other than "that's the way it is"?

As an example, Kenneth Starr, the ex-prosecutor in the Clinton scandals. Since I never heard his name prior to the investigation I became extremely confused when the TV talking heads were calling him "Judge" yet mainsteam media referred to him in his correct title without any mention he was a former judge. I actually had to do an Internet search trying to figure out what was going on. I found it exceptionally confusing since he couldn't possibly be a judge and also a prosecutor.

Another example: The former NY Justice, Wachtler (sp?). Why should he be called "Judge" after serving a prison sentence for his criminal acts?

In most states it seems somewhat clear that "retired" judges cannot practice law and sitting judges cannot go on TV discussing cases and giving their opinions especially in on-going matters. Of course, this excludes "TV judges" who aren't being paid by a government.

In other words, how is the average TV viewer supposed to know who is a real live judge and who isn't? It becomes harder to verify who's who when it isn't a famous person or should I say "infamous."

Shouldn't TV commentators or any form of media clarify "former," "sitting" "retired," or "TV actor." I notice they do so with all other titles, such as "general," "corporal," "admiral" etc. Even their names show their title and in brackets after the name their current status. Why are former or resigned judges different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back