Tip stealing

Davis Underwood

Jurisdiction
Utah
Hi i was at a dinner with a couple friends amd i had a great time great food and service. Until it was time to pay. My friend gave me 20$ to pay for her half and so i could pay with my card.
I went to the bar to pay and i put the 20 and the check down to grab my wallet next to amd empty plate. I put the 20 in my wallet and the cashier accused me of stealing a tip that was allegedly next to me.
Confused by this i say no then explained it was my friends half of the check. We put it behind us and walked to our car. Before we pulled out i noticed the cashier writing down my license plate. We got out of the car and asked what they were doing.
We spoke with the manager and the security guard and they said they will look over the footage later because the owner was not there i said okay and that ill call later to find out whats going on. If im accused of stealing what legel action can i take to be accommodated for this.

If you didn't steal it what are you worried about. There was honestly no reason to write down your license plate info. They had you credit card info.... Your friend can say what happen. Your bill can say what happened. Yet a video never lies.

Ignore it. The employee's suspicion seems reasonable but doesn't amount to anything you need to respond to.
There is nothing to do. I wouldn't bother calling back and keeping this alive.
If, in the extremely unlikely event you are contacted by police, don't offer any explanation. You aren't required to give a statement. Simply tell them the employee is mistaken and you have nothing more to say.
I doubt you will hear from anyone.

If im accused of stealing what legel action can i take to be accommodated for this.

You can simply say (if the police come calling), "I am invoking, and will only speak with my lawyer."

The video should support your version of events, as soon as it is reviewed this will be a nothing burger.

If im accused of stealing what legel action can i take to be accommodated for this.

Huh? "Legel [sic] action . . . to be accommodated"?

I have a hard time believing anything will come of this (and you didn't tell us how long ago this happened). However, if you're accused, you're free to deny the accusation and tell the same story you told here.

Back