Timeshare Maintenance Fees & Assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozmsss

In 1993 I purchased a red week Fairfield (now Wyndham) timeshare at a charity auction for cash. I enjoyed the use of my week there and exchanging through RCI. After my retirement in 1998 I was able to barely pay the annual fees but did keep them up until the past three years when they made three large special assessments to refurbish the units. I paid a portion of the first assessment, but was unable to continue as I found myself in bankruptcy. At the end of 2008 I owed on the timeshare approximately $1700 in fees, assessments, and interest. This has been turned over to a collection agency who now says I owe over $3,900, which amount increases every time they contact me.

I am 73 years old, mobilly handicapped, in a wheelchair, and partially blind. My only income is a modest Social Security benefit, which I supplement with small principal distributions from a small IRA. I am unable to find any employment to earn income.

The past two years I spoke to the management company about renting my week with the funds going straight towards the fees owed, but they would not permit it. I tried to talk to them and/or the directors about deeding the week to them in payment, but was told "not an option" by the collection agency. The management firm would not speak to me since it is in collection and would not tell me how to contact the directors direct. I am unable to sell this timeshare. I cannot pay this.

What can I do? What can they do? Can they take my Social Security benefits? I am a Florida resident. Can they place a lien against my homestead property? I am a nervous wreck over this and it is really affecting my health. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back